• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix no start when damp-i need help please

commando

NAXJA Forum User
My 90 xj will start and die as soon as i release the key when its damp and cool but after work in the afternoon it starts like nothing is wrong if i keep the starter engaged it keeps running.I have replaced the cap,rotor,plugs,plug wires,crank sensor,icm,coil, has fuel pressure out of the fuel valve. I'm stumped already cost me in parts I dont need and a days work.Thanks,Chris

How are your grounds? Dipstick tube grounds = ICM, ECU, o2 sensor, others. POS braided strap from rear of head to firewall should be replaced with a 4 or 2 gauge cable. All grounds need to be stripped to bare metal and treated with an anti-corrosion agent, then made TIGHT.

Possible ignition switch issue, they work loose and get out of adjustment to the point the remote rod from the key causes issues.

Possible poor/failing relays, pick up about four of them at the salvage yard and swap yours out--you will have 3 if no a/c.

The "keeps running with starter engaged" thing makes me suspect the ignition switch and the relays both.

all the above^^ and:

fuel pump ballast-- it's bypassed on "crank" and used it "run."
Try jumping the two wires together and see if it'll keep running that way.

Thanks guys I forgot to add ballast resistor was replaced, all the ideas I got from serching.

I didn't know if the ignition would be going bad if the only time it happens is the morning start.

I will redo the grounds and replace all the relays I got a bunch from the Junkyard.Thanks again, I will post up What works for future refrence.

Rather than replace the relays, although I know it's cheap to do, pull them out and clean the contacts/terminals. At the same time, spray some contact cleaner into the harness where they plug into.

Do your grounds just to humor me and Joe, wouldya? It can and will save your hiney some other time and you won't even know it.

x to the tenth power. The Renix XJs are ground imperative.

A really smart guy will disconnect the battery, then lift up the relay mount and clean everything underneath, then do the same for the fuse box inside the cabin. Make sure to use a bright light and check the brake/clutch MCs to see if they are leaking fluid--if that gets into the fuse block/wiring its hell to pay.

Glad you got it going.

Back