• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bushwacker cutout vs. flat flare

im going to run 33's on 3 inch front and 3.5 rear. since its my dd i wan tto keep it lower. i saw the napier so i would get those instead of bushwacker cut out, so its napier or flat flares

Depending on wheel backspacing, my 33s tuck in under the relocated rear factory flares. I cut and folded my rear fenders and moved the stock flares up onto the doors. I had to run spacers on the front wheels though to keep the tires off the control arms. I need to put flares up front in order to cover them.

yeah i think my parents might surprise me with a birthday gift of flares so... and they are needed. i just need to know what will give me the most room for 33's. i think the flats wiil but idk

yeah i think my parents might surprise me with a birthday gift of flares so... and they are needed. i just need to know what will give me the most room for 33's. i think the flats wiil but idk

Look at the PDF of them. Its not as much room as you think.

I run the flat flares and there isn't a lot of cutting at the top of the guard but at the front and rear there's a reasonable amount. The thing about the flat flares is they slope upwards on the underside as the go out, room wise what you see is what you get. I like them looks wise a lot better than the cut out flares and they fit with my snorkel, I'll be bumpstopping some more and running 35's with them in a month or two.

With 32's, haven't rubbed yet.

IMG_3315_NONUM.sized.jpg

LakeLyell1.sized.jpg

Cheers
Steve

^^^^NICE!

And I know what you mean about PA cops! I was driving through on some back roads to check out the Pennsylvania School of technology and I got pulled over twice in a 20 minute period.

They both asked me if I was from texas (md plates :dunce:) and when I told them know continued to tell me about all these texans coming down with huge trucks.

I run the flat flares and there isn't a lot of cutting at the top of the guard but at the front and rear there's a reasonable amount. The thing about the flat flares is they slope upwards on the underside as the go out, room wise what you see is what you get. I like them looks wise a lot better than the cut out flares and they fit with my snorkel, I'll be bumpstopping some more and running 35's with them in a month or two.

With 32's, haven't rubbed yet.

IMG_3315_NONUM.sized.jpg

LakeLyell1.sized.jpg

Cheers
Steve

how much lift are you running and do you think 33x10.5 will fit with 3.5 inch lift

PA cops and residents for that matter are mad at the texas oil companies because their heavy trucks are tearing up the roads.

Technically to pass a PA inspection flares cannot exceed 3"
Napier's are 3.25
Not sure about the bushwhackers but I'm sure there over that.
Not that anybody would actually fail you for it but it could happen.

@austinaubinoe How did you like Penn College? I'm 2nd year automotive major welding minor & I think its a great school. That and its only an hour away from Rausch Creek.

I'm running around 5.5" of lift, 33's would fit on 3.5" but your uptravel would be limited I think.

Cheers
Steve
thanks alot steve. i dont mind about up travel right now i just need new tires and dont wana go little and regret it later when i go a little higher lift. thanks again thread closed!

RE 3.5" lift with bushwhacker's latest version of their cut-out flares. This version has a textured surface like the factory unpainted 97+ flares and the material is more flexible than the smooth surface rigid version before it. The screws used to hold them on have a deeper more aggressive thread that take a bigger "bite" to, I am guessing, help prevent them from popping off like older versions. These tires are 33x12.50R15 BFG KM2s on 15x8 black steel wheel with 4" backspacing. I have yet to flex it out without the disconnects in so I cannot comment on that yet but if you really would like to know I can make time to flex it and take some shots. I do get minor rubbing on the LCAs but thats it. Please excuse the missing rear bumper caps and side molding as I was in a rush to get the flares on the Jeep and go pick up the tires since this was a Saturday and Discount Tire was not open on Sunday.

IMG_0102226.jpg

IMG_0102222.jpg

IMG_0102223.jpg

RE 3.5" lift with bushwhacker's latest version of their cut-out flares. This version has a textured surface like the factory unpainted 97+ flares and the material is more flexible than the smooth surface rigid version before it. The screws used to hold them on have a deeper more aggressive thread that take a bigger "bite" to, I am guessing, help prevent them from popping off like older versions. These tires are 33x12.50R15 BFG KM2s on 15x8 black steel wheel with 4" backspacing. I have yet to flex it out without the disconnects in so I cannot comment on that yet but if you really would like to know I can make time to flex it and take some shots. I do get minor rubbing on the LCAs but thats it. Please excuse the missing rear bumper caps and side molding as I was in a rush to get the flares on the Jeep and go pick up the tires since this was a Saturday and Discount Tire was not open on Sunday.

IMG_0102226.jpg

IMG_0102222.jpg

IMG_0102223.jpg
ok thanks. im really deciding to get these or the flat ones. im not a fan of these but i think they have more room

IMG_0102226.jpg

IMG_0102222.jpg

IMG_0102223.jpg

i like the flat bushwacker style .. i met with the sales rep of bushwacker yesterday he came out to my shop in china to meet me after the beijing SEMA show .. he sponsered my JK for the show along with BDS suspension and Mickey thompson.. i installed the bushwacker flat flares on the JK very easy to install and look just like the XJ style

throwing a monkey wrench in here... how are your fab skills?

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1031797&page=2

ill be going this route as i see myself at 35s in the future. neither of these flairs remove enough of the fender to flex 35s like i want. i want them to stuff like my 31s do, or close to it rather.

haha being 17 in high school idk if i have the skills to weld up my own. but i wish:). thanks everyone for the help. im going with the flat flares.

time to learn. :) does your school have a vocational center? mine did. i took auto body.

welding on those would be easy. you can put them on the table and work on them since your not welding them to the jeep. everything can be ground down nice and smooth no matter how ugly. the hard part is bending the tube.

and i did this recently, with a little TLC and planning you can make the end results look great. the BW flairs do all the hard work for you. ha!
before:
39977_111460505575041_100001332774399_75103_1975206_n.jpg

after:
35256_104886609565764_100001332774399_36482_795848_n.jpg

i know you want flairs but the idea is the same. give yourself a time frame and goal to do it RIGHT. shouldnt take but a few hours after you get over the first few cuts.

Back