• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 egnine into a 92: any issues?

nosigma

NAXJA Member # 1371
NAXJA Member
I found a low miles 99 XJ motor. My 92 motor is very tired after 234,000 milles. Both are automatics. Can I swap the 99 motor in directly and just hook it up or will there be differences in the electronics, sensors or accessories that will make this an unending headache?

(92 motor gets rebuilt as a stroker for my Rambler).

John

its pretty straight forward. all the sensors are in the same place, and do the same things, expt for the coolant temp sensor.

On the 92, it screws into the head back by the ground strap. the 99 doesnt have that sensor, it uses the single one in the thermostat housing.

The wiring plugs will be different, so you'll wind up using all your old sensors, including your old distributor pickup. reall not a big deal though, and the new motor will come with a much better exhaust header.

Sounds like this will be exceptionally easy.

Is the only way to retain the temperature gauge swap an older style head on?

I have a heavily ported 7120 head for the Rambler already so I would only have to freshen up the old 7120 head off of the 92 or drill and tap a sensor port into the 99 head.

John

all sensors will have to be changed as the are diff, coil and dist will also need to be changed, but driveplate should be same,

ROBZ95Xj: By that I assume you mean that I would be using all of the 92 sensors and the 92 distributor on the 99 motor and NOT using the 99's sensors or distributor.

John

ROBZ95Xj: By that I assume you mean that I would be using all of the 92 sensors and the 92 distributor on the 99 motor and NOT using the 99's sensors or distributor.

John
yes

You can put the temp sensor from the head--its for the temperature gauge in the dash--in the block by removing the 5/16 square drive plug. You may need an adapter from summitracing.com but no big deal. Another alternative is to order a dual-sensor thermostat housing from Hesco, or to drill the front of the thermostat housing where the flat spot is and tap it to fit the sending unit--if you do this don't get overenthusiastic and turn the NPT tap too far or the sensor won't hold.

You can put the temp sensor from the head--its for the temperature gauge in the dash--in the block by removing the 5/16 square drive plug. You may need an adapter from summitracing.com but no big deal. Another alternative is to order a dual-sensor thermostat housing from Hesco, or to drill the front of the thermostat housing where the flat spot is and tap it to fit the sending unit--if you do this don't get overenthusiastic and turn the NPT tap too far or the sensor won't hold.

thats what i did as well.

Back