• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

relocating keyless entry?

flinchy

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 96 xj it so happens to have factory key less entry i want to install a cb but i also want to keep my key less entry anyone know if i can move the key less entry sensor to a different place so i can put my cb there or is there a better place to mount the cb

also does anyone know how far of a range it is suppose to have? i just replaced the batteries and i can only get it to work when i am right next to the jeep so it kinda seems pointless

Install an aftermarket unit such as an Omega for around $50 or less and get all the bells and whistles with a range of 30-50 ft or more. And it takes care of your CB mounting space.

It would depend on what year XJ you have.

i have a 96 where do you find this thing and how does it take care of the cb mounting space?

It should be a smoked-plastic dome between the sun visors, though I have a vague recollection of also seeing it on at least one junkyard XJ closer to the centre of the roof - but those ones likely had the overhead console, and it was possible to have keyless entry without the overhead console.

If it's between the visors, you can relocate it elsewhere and use that space for mounting your CB - run a strip of steel between the sun visor latches, using their screws to hold it in place, and mount your CB's bracket to that strip.

Option two is to get a Cobra 75 WXST; it houses all of the control electronics in the handset, which plugs into a separate (smaller) transmitter module. The transmitter is a lot easier to locate than a typical full-size CB, so opens up some mounting options. Performance generally isn't considered to be in the same league as most full-size CBs, but in the five or six years I've had mine it's been fine for trail and highway use.

Search in Mod Tech with cb** for many mounting ideas. A couple good threads on the first page that will come up.

I was just suggesting that rather than going to the trouble of moving the limited factory keyless entry sensor (apparently with a max range of 3-5 ft), you consider a full featured aftermarket unit. Here is one for $37.80: http://www.lesscoelectronics.com/Omega_REC_12_Keyless_Entry_System_p/rec-12 keyless entry rec12.htm

I don't know anything about Lessco Electronics but I have had the Omega REC-11+ installed for about four years in my '93 with excellent performance and no problems. (Well. no problems is not completely true: I had the unit for some months before installing it. A problem developed with the processing module after installation. It was out of warranty but Omega exchanged it free of charge with the fastest turnaround time I have ever seen--four days over a weekend including transit both ways between Georgia and East Texas.)

You can start with only the lock/unlock function if you wish and later hook up exterior light flash, interior lights on with unlock, and as many of the other functions as you want or need.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Back