• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 to ax15

rickyxj

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys been a while since i browsed these forums but im back into the swing of things....jeep things. my cherokees tranny let go on my birthday almost a year ago now and has been resting quietly on jackstands ever since. trans is an aw4 auto but i plan on getting rid of it in favour for a 5 speed. i have a brand new clutch with internal slave and an ax15 i pulled out of a yj i parted a little while ago. these parts were originally for my other yj that i justt recently sold so my big question is. will this tranny just botl up in place of the aw4. i know i have a flywheel and tcase for the ax15 somewhere all i think i need is the cliutch pedal assembly. thanks in advance guys

depends on what engine you have... and what year your jeep is... and that other info we ask people to post when asking tech questions :spin1:

since you have an aw4 I can guess you have a 4.0, so the bellhousing should work, but for some info I still need the year.

its a 95 and yeah the 4.0. jeep the tranny came out of was a 91 i believe. ive read little bits here and there about input shaft diameters but dont really know the differences

only difference i know about is a 21 spline vs a 23 spline input shaft. The 21 spline was in the renix years 88-91. Not sure on the wranglers though, they never put a renix motor in the wrangler, at least none that I am aware of...so you should be fine if you have the mopar fuel injection.

only difference i know about is a 21 spline vs a 23 spline input shaft. The 21 spline was in the renix years 88-91. Not sure on the wranglers though, they never put a renix motor in the wrangler, at least none that I am aware of...so you should be fine if you have the mopar fuel injection.
nope... 21 spline was 87-90 (partway through 90 iirc.) 91 should be 23 spline afaik.

The 4.2 and 4cyl RENIX setups went into the YJ at some point, I've pulled RENIX ICMs out of crusty 4cyl wranglers at the junkyard.

The YJ AX-15 has the bolt pattern for the t-case clocked slightly higher the an XJ version would. It will fit in, but you may have to clearance the floor boards to keep it from hitting.

The clutch pedal assy. is actually the clutch/brake pedal assy. I've read about someone modifying the single pedal assy to hold both, but don't remember where. Seems like it would be easier to just find the dual pedal assy to start with.

It's a personal opinion, but if I was doing a swap, I would go out of my way to install the external slave cylinder version of the AX-15. Internal is way too much of a pain if you have a hydraulic failure.

Back