• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 question

jack96xj

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to figure out if I need standard rotation gears or reverse rotation gears. I have an 01 XJ and trying to get it figured out. I understand if the comb of the teeth goes away from you as you look at the ring it is a standard, if the comb comes toward you it is reverse. Any help with figuring this out or anyone know what i should have in a dana 30 for an 01?

standard rotation and reverse rotation are BS terms, it's either standard or reverse spiral. Sounds minor I know, but there's a huge difference... Most gear manufacturers say "high pinion" or "low pinion" anyways. An 01 is going to have a low pinion front axle unless it was retrofitted with a high pinion after the fact - draw an imaginary line along the center of the pinion shaft and if it goes under the center of the axle tubes it's low pinion, if it goes over the tubes it's a high pinion.

Left is a low pinoin axle, right is high pinion.
lowpinionvshighpinion.jpg

so if you have an 01 D30 its likely to be a low pinion as shown in the pic on the left (see previous post) so it would be a standard rotation. High pinions (one on the right have a reverse rotation)

An 01 uses the TJ Short pinion set(not the same as the early LP D30),the HP uses "Reverse Cut" gears!

Thanks you guys are great! Now I know to get the pinion shaft shims instead of a crush sleeve. Unfortunately I already tried the sleeve and I thought I did something wrong as did the guy helping me out. Not the case. Thanks again!

The XJ LP D30 does use a crush sleeve!

Back