• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speedo help please

new2xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have changed the Aw and NP out of a 89 xj cable speedo and put it in my 95 xj electric speedo what do I need to do to get my speedo to work thanks

Last edited:
You need to pull the speedo sending unit out of the 95 TC and put it in the 89 TC.
The whole unit-sender and gear,heck even swap the hold down fork, line up the correct notch and all should be good.

Wayne

Thanks for your reply I wish it were that easy as that is what I did but it seems that the gear assembly is to short and the gear teeth will not mesh nor will the housing go in far enough to seal I thought maybe there was a difference in the housing and gear assembly between the cable set up and the electronic but I don't have the old unit to compare the two I know I am a newbie but this should be simple LOL :helpme:

There is a difference between the two---you need to use whatever sender and gear that work with the speedo you have==89 -mech speedo,95 electronic.
AFAIK- the extension housings are the same.
Did the same swap on my(sons)87-- Just turn the housing until the gears mesh.
If you didn,t re-gear the tooth count will be the same.

Wayne

Moving to MOD Tech.

Back