• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does this u-joint need replacing? (pic)

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanting to make sure I'm not getting ripped off here.

Here's one of my front u-joints...

4.jpg

My mechanic is telling me both u-joints need to be replaced specifically b/c of the ring of rust that coats where the center piece articulates with each of the arms. I think he said that's a sign the rust continues deeper into the junction.

So, my question is, is he right that this piece needs to be replaced. And, if this rust isn't enough to change out the piece, what other signs should I look for to evaluate this piece myself?

Thanks yall.

Agreed.

Put some jam on those, they are toast!

Hmmm. I'm not as sure. I work at a tractor trailer parts place and we have a driveline shop and lots of ugly looking u-joints come in on stuff or tech says are ok yet. Take the shaft off and take it to a drive line place in your area. They'll let you know.

That is bad, no unsure about it. There's a chunk missing out of the bearing cap and the grease seal is gone.

the dust means something has been ground up, and judging from the top cap its the needle bearings went dry and were ground up from friction

there's no way to be 100% sure about something like this without popping them out but they sure look bad to me

does it have any play? if so then for sure yes it needs replaced. but that thing looks terrible. as said before the grease seal is gone, so its a pretty good bet that its dry inside.

Back