• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget CV Driveshaft

'97_Red_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I am trying to add a Hack n' Tap SYE to my jeep and am curious about possible budget CV drive shafts. I know a lot of people run a cherokee front drive shaft, my jeep has a manual transmission though so I don't think that would work for me. My question is, has anyone run a front shaft out of another vehicle that might be long enough to work for me? I am also running about 4"-4.5" of lift. Thanks,
Evan

Frt shaft out of a Dakota 4WD is about one inch longer than A auto Cherokee frt shaft. A ZJ frt shaft is about 2 inches longer. A driveshaft shop can lengthen and balance a shaft for around 60 to 120 bucks, depending on the local prices.

what transmission (guessing AX-15), transfer case (guessing 231?), motor (guessing 4.0?), and rear axel? all of these along with your lift height will factor into determining what you need. and on top of that, many SYE kits do not use the same length shaft for the yoke. and since your doing a hack-n-tap is going to be even harder for someone to tell you "get this one!" with 100% accuracy.

your best bet is to get it installed and measure from yoke to yoke. also try to get the best estimate you can for full compression and extension of the rear suspension as these will be the numbers you will need to work around. id say start with your own front shaft. if you find its too long/short you now have a reference and should be able to identify something that will work.

if your car is your DD, dont bitch. you want to do this... so make plans and time to get it done and back on the road.

I believe that the manual trans is slightly longer than the aw4, so with that I do believe a front xj shaft should work.

what transmission (guessing AX-15), transfer case (guessing 231?), motor (guessing 4.0?), and rear axel? all of these along with your lift height will factor into determining what you need. and on top of that, many SYE kits do not use the same length shaft for the yoke. and since your doing a hack-n-tap is going to be even harder for someone to tell you "get this one!" with 100% accuracy.

your best bet is to get it installed and measure from yoke to yoke. also try to get the best estimate you can for full compression and extension of the rear suspension as these will be the numbers you will need to work around. id say start with your own front shaft. if you find its too long/short you now have a reference and should be able to identify something that will work.

if your car is your DD, dont bitch. you want to do this... so make plans and time to get it done and back on the road.

Correct, AX-15, 231 Transfer case, and 4.0. I also have a Dana 35 rear axle. My Jeep is my daily driver, but my brother has a vehicle I can use until I get everything finished up so I wouldn't have to rush anything. I don't feel like I was bitching though, at least I didn't mean to come across that way. Anyways thanks for the help, I'll see what all I can do with my college budget right now.

Back