• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seafoam Treatment

598BBC

NAXJA Forum User
just curious if anyone may have the correct procedure for a Treatment of Seafoam.. the additive to the Fuel tank is pretty self explaind.. But I have heard various other treatments, such as a direct usage thru the throttle body..just wondering how much? assumming higher rpm instead of just idling, any info is appreciated.. Trying to smog a renix that failed on the Nox side, replacing EGR, and was wanting to do this treatment also. Thanks for any input

I've pulled the vacuum hose on the brake booster while the engine is running and use it to suck the seafoam out of the can. If you do it though, make sure to hold your finger over part of the can opening to regulate how much it sucks out because it will shut off the engine if too much goes in at once. Towards the end I usually let it suck in a bunch to kill it on purpose, then let it sit for a few minutes and start it up again.

/\/\/\/\/\/\
This.

I do it the same way, usually let it soak up half the bottle. Let it sit for 15 min then take it for a drive. Mine smoked like crazy. You can also put it in your oil like 50 miles before you change it. Just make sure you change it...

there is still a hose that runs from the brakes to the manifold i believe - i did it in my old 97 xj with abs and have done it in my 99 with out abs.

mines got the crappy bendix 9 abs. but isnt there a capped off vacuum line somewhere for if it did have a vacuum booster? where is that? or is there a better way?

The new seafoam aresol cans have a applicator tip that is curved. You place it into the throttle body end of the air box tube and it sprays it into the throttle body. A much better way to even distribute it into the engine.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-spray.html

hook-guide.jpg

Locate the engine throttle body and remove air intake boot. Install the Sea Foam cleaning tube by inserting the short end of the hook guide into the throttle body, positioning the tube directly in front of the throttle plate. Ideal placement of hook guide is at top center of throttle body housing (12 o’clock.) Place end of cleaning tube within ¼” of throttle plate by adjusting cleaning tube in or out of hook guide. Replace air intake boot to hold cleaning tube assembly in place.
With the vehicle in park or neutral and parking brake engaged start engine and increase idle speed 500 to 1000 RPM above factory idle specification. Increasing engine RPM is important for the following reasons:
  • The Sea Foam cleaner must be evenly distributed
  • The Sea Foam cleaner must fully atomize
  • The Sea Foam cleaner must pass through the throttle body, not the air by-pass
Find a method to hold engine RPM steady as this application takes approximately 5 minutes
After ½ can of Sea Foam has been used, approximately 2-3 minutes, stop spray, return engine to normal idle speed and shut off engine.
Remove cleaning tube from throttle body and reattach air inlet boot to throttle body and tighten clamp.
Let vehicle sit about 5 minutes then restart in a well ventilated area, as exhaust may be extreme for a short time. Road test, driving aggressively, to remove any remaining carbon.

so how would i go about doing it with a non aresol can? mainly which vacuum line besides the brake booster line?

so how would i go about doing it with a non aresol can? mainly which vacuum line besides the brake booster line?

Whatever vac line is closest to the cetner of the intake, or... just slowly pour it down the throttle body. As long as the line goes to the intake it wont matter.

There's an aerosol bottle of it? My local Walmart and Kragen both only stock the non-aerosol kind. Anyway, like someone else mentioned, if you don't have a brake booster, then just find another vac line to the intake. Are there really XJ's out there without power brakes?

i have never use sea foam deep creep just the standard white can and poured it in the tb at a slow speed. use about a third to half the can no need to raise the rpms. may sound like its going to die but doesn't. make sure when you turn the motor back on your outside and not near open windows. it should smoke pretty good. and if you put it in the oil you could end up with a leak because it cleaned out what was clogging the leak.i did it with no problems and your oil will come out looking horrible

I've heard it can foul O2 sensors. and I usually Seafoam it before I change plugs
Used it on a few vehicles and they all smoked bad, but immediately started running better.

Are there really XJ's out there without power brakes?

it has power brakes (supposed to anyway). it just uses pressurized brake fluid from the peice of **** abs system instead of a normal vacuum booster

/\/\/\/\/\/\
This.

I do it the same way, usually let it soak up half the bottle. Let it sit for 15 min then take it for a drive. Mine smoked like crazy. You can also put it in your oil like 50 miles before you change it. Just make sure you change it...

OOPS!!! I put it in my oil then drove 800 miles... did I damage something? I changed it right after though... it was a continuous 800 miles.

we just started getting the new cans in at o-reillys recently. Should be permanent once the old cans run out

They are not going to discontinue the pour in style since its still used for other uses like in your gas tank!

OOPS!!! I put it in my oil then drove 800 miles... did I damage something? I changed it right after though... it was a continuous 800 miles.
You should be okay, just change your coil asap now.

I'm curious as to why so many people say you have to immediately change the oil after putting Sea Foam in. I've seen people say they've run it in engines for the normal change intervals without issue, and there's nothing on the website about needing to change it immediately. Is it because of the chance of the dissolved crap clogging the filter, or what exactly?

Back