• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

keyless entry question

jbmoose

NAXJA Forum User
I'm being told that since my 2000 XJ came with power locks it also came with keyless remote. True? Can the dealer program a remote without having one already?

The guy I bought my 2000 from lost the remote. I bought one from the dealership and they were able to make it work. I've been told that the remotes are not programmed, but it's the part inside the Cherokee that gets programmed to accept a certain remote frequency.

Look for the key fob (clicker thang) on the Bay of E. Way cheaper than the dealer. Then get it programmed to match your Jeep.

I'm being told that since my 2000 XJ came with power locks it also came with keyless remote. True? ?

Maybe, maybe not. The 97-01 keyless remote circuit board is inside the dome lamp or optional overhead console. Just look for it.

X2.

On some 97s it is mounted in a strange dome hump thing between the sun visors near the front. Basically it looks just like the 96-down IR receiver but without the black "eye".

Not to threadjack...but if I have a 98 Limited with the overhead console, can I assume I have the IR board? Where would it be hiding in the console?....maybe behind the digital readout?

The guy I bought my 2000 from lost the remote. I bought one from the dealership and they were able to make it work. I've been told that the remotes are not programmed, but it's the part inside the Cherokee that gets programmed to accept a certain remote frequency.

I don't think this is true. I bought two used keyless remotes from eBay from two different sellers on two different sides of the country. The dealer programmed them to work for my vehicle so unless, by some crazy coincidence, I got two remotes that had the same frequency, the remotes were programmed for my XJ.

Oh, it cost me $45+tax to have both keyless entry units done. Each unit cost me roughly $18 shipped on eBay and they were in like new condition.

When I got my 2000XJ it only had one keyfob. You can use any transmitter from the 97 thru 01 XJ's. They will be a black body. I think the grey ZJ/WJ ones are different. You will have to have the dealer program each transmitter to the vehicle up to 4 total. They can also erase old transmitters that you don't have anymore. Not all XJ's came with keyless from new but its fairly easy it add. You can get the receiver unit and install it into the plug under the dome light and then have the dealer program them after that.

Each transmitter has a unique signal that doesn't change. The receiver unit in the vehicle is programed to that specific transmitter using the factory scan tool. Mine took a whole 15 min at the dealer.

Last edited:
One of my keyfobs came from an '01 Grand Cherokee apparently. As long as the Chrysler P/N number is 56036859AD you should be fine. Other variations of the letter may be okay and from what I understand, AA is version 1.0, AB is version 1.1 and so on and so forth, but they should all work.

The remotes all use the same frequency. The code they transmit on that frequency is different for each remote. Wheeling365 covered the rest of the system perfectly.

Yes - makes sense. I stand corrected.

Are you certain the grey WJ/ZJ ones are different? I bought a set of those for a '99XJ I sold to my girlfriends mother. Told her she could go to the dealer to get those keyfobs programmed for the XJ. I'm gonna hear it if I'm wrong :)

I don't think this is true. I bought two used keyless remotes from eBay from two different sellers on two different sides of the country. The dealer programmed them to work for my vehicle so unless, by some crazy coincidence, I got two remotes that had the same frequency, the remotes were programmed for my XJ.

Oh, it cost me $45+tax to have both keyless entry units done. Each unit cost me roughly $18 shipped on eBay and they were in like new condition.
According to the manual, the dealer would have programmed the vehicle's receiver to each of the different remotes. I think there is the potential for up to five different remote codes per vehicle. edit to add: I see wheeling 365 pretty much covered it already.

if your vehicle didn't have keyless, it may not have the wiring for keyless in the headliner.

in fact, my '97 didn't have wiring connectors for ANY power options.

I swapped to '98 wiring when I did the 5 speed swap, and still had to swap the wiring up to the headliner in order to add the overhead console and keyless.

Back