• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 non c-clip q's

jeep.kevin

NAXJA Forum User
Ive had my 89 cherokee for a while now and im currently running 33s with no problems. I have a non c-clip dana 35 in the back now and I've been wondering if there is and difference between the standard dana 35 and and the non c-clip (aside from the c-clips) what i mean is does it have thicker tubes on it or anything like that.

If i could run 35s with this axle by throwing some stronger parts into it that would be great. if there is no advantages to this dana 35 non c-clip then ill just scrap it.!!!1 any info will help guys thanks.

Ive had my 89 cherokee for a while now and im currently running 33s with no problems. I have a non c-clip dana 35 in the back now and I've been wondering if there is and difference between the standard dana 35 and and the non c-clip (aside from the c-clips) what i mean is does it have thicker tubes on it or anything like that.

If i could run 35s with this axle by throwing some stronger parts into it that would be great. if there is no advantages to this dana 35 non c-clip then ill just scrap it.!!!1 any info will help guys thanks.

if your going to throw money into a axle that is not the one you want to do it with. Search your local pick a part for a 8.25 or if your lucky A d44. If your handy with a welder also look under some explorers for a 8.8 w disc brackes. There are some great threads on this board for the swap.

I would go a D44 with stock shafts over a D35 with alloys. I have run both.

I wouldnt wasta any money at all on a dana 35. not worth it IMO. Find yourself a D44 or an 8.8. I went with the 8.8 because I could get it with 4.10s already set up and disc brakes. It is also a stronger axle than a D44. The swap was relatively easy and can be done over the weekend no problem.

I have a non c-clip dana 35 in the back now and I've been wondering if there is and difference between the standard dana 35 and and the non c-clip (aside from the c-clips) what i mean is does it have thicker tubes on it or anything like that.

If i could run 35s with this axle by throwing some stronger parts into it that would be great. if there is no advantages to this dana 35 non c-clip

The axle tube thickness is the same. The housings differ at the axle bearing side to accomidate the tapered bearing. Otherwise they are the same. The advantage of using a non-c-clip axle is that if you do break it, your axle will not walk out on you and leave you completely stranded.

There are "Super 35" axle kits out there that are essentually alloy axles and a new carrier. This does not solve problems caused by the axle housing flexing. To solve that, you need to truss it.

All in all, if you have outgrown your D35, unless you have a good reason for keeping it ( Like you are sentimental because of all the years of excellent service it has given you ), then you should upgrade. The easiest would be a bolt in D44 or 8.25 from a 97 and up Cherokee. The 8.25 from older years would still be an upgrade over the D35, but the newer model ones are a bit more sturdy.

Xwhatever... an 8.8 or a 97-up 29 spline 8.25 is a good upgrade, 8.8 count on spending ~3-500 bucks all told but get optional gearing (up to 4.10) and disc brakes as a side benefit, the 8.25 will bolt right in and can be done in 3 hours or less with basic hand tools.

XJ d44s are cool too but much rarer than 29 spline 8.25s.

Back