• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 axle help

OkieXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
How do I remove the pinion from the axle housing?

A little background:
I got this ford 8.8 for free. Its from a 2000 explorer, 4.10 gears lsd. It has been more trouble than it is worth. The pinion bearing was bad when I received it, so I bought a new set of bearings and started to take this thing apart. Removing the brakes, axle shafts differential when fine. Then came the pinion and flange. I had to rap on the flange and use a 3 jaw puller to get the flange off. But now the pinion will not budge. I tried to "persuade" it with a hammer and ended up messing up the threads on the pinion :mad:. Now I'll probably need a new pinion or at least chase the threads with a proper die. How do I get this thing out? I've searched and all the tech articles I've read say it should fall out when the flange comes off. That is definitely not happening. I'm almost to the point where I'm either going to drop the $200 and get a harbor freight 20 ton press, or throw this thing in the trash and get another one from the JY. Any help is appreciated, also feel free to move this if its in the wrong section. I thought I would ask here before joining a mustang forum since I am already a member. Here is where I sit:
pinion.jpg

ive pulled a couple sets at different times and most of them usually need atleast a little persuasion from a hammer, next time thread the nut back on 3/4 of the nuts threads so it still covers the end and hammer on that. that way the only thing u mess up is a cheap pinion nut but it should just come out with a few good hits. oddly my 4.10s needed a pinion bearing also when i got it

I thought about putting the nut back on but arbitrarily decided not. Looking back that was a dumb thing to do. I also beat on it for about 5 min. with a rubber dead blow hammer. That hammer is pretty much destroyed now. I think I'll try to get my hands on a press somewhere.

The piece of wood is a good idea, I'll try that next

Last edited:
Just give it a good whack with a hammer. use a dead blow or a piece of wood in between

Aluminum or brass plate with a BFG is the trick,never hit the pinion/nut with anything else.

You did take the carrier out first right? I know I know, I just had to ask.

Don't worry about offending me. I used to work in phone support so I've seen it all. Yes the carrier is out, I removed it without any drama. I'll report back tomorrow.

Pretty much destroyed a piece of wood hammering on the pinion. I guess the pinion is fused to the bearing or something. There is a machine shop down the street so I think I'll ask them if they have a press and can knock this out for me.

Board.jpg

I thought I would update the thread to include the final solution:
pressedit.jpg

I took it to the machine shop where the owner used the "little" press to get the pinion out. I was definitely frozen to the outer bearing. It took about 4 seconds and $5 to get it out :D. Should have done that first.

PinionThread.jpg

I thought I would post up my solution for my bungled threads. Good as new now, just have to put the mess back together. $35 for the die from MSC vs. new ring and pinion.

that's a hell of a press.

For future reference, when you have to beat the @#$%$@ out of something to get it out, look for an indent in it... if you put a half inch steel rod about 2" long in that indent in the end of the pinion (might have to file a bit of a point onto the end of the rod first) and beat the other end of it silly, you would have had a chance.

Glad to hear it worked out in the end... what thread size is it? 3/4 UNF is my guess, but I'm not sure. Is this going in the MJ or the XJ?

Planning on swapping it into the XJ, and yeah its 3/4-20 I UNF I believe. There is an indentation in the pinion like you said, it helped me get the flange off with the puller. I definitely should have tried something like that before whacking up the threads but as hard as that press had to work I don't think it would have budged. The right tools sure do make a huge difference.

you will love the 8.8 in the XJ! It does take a lot of work but it is almost indestructable! looking at it and my buggy's d60 side by side there isn't that much differance. good luck!

Back