• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody have a Truetrac in the front?

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
We're having a discussion about whether you can feel (are any negatives) when running a Truetrac in the front of a non-disconnect D30. I thought plenty have run them and I've never heard anything negative about driveabilty on the street. Detroit seems to say a front Truetrac can bind a little when turning and don't recommend it for use without hubs.

Any experiences?

Had one in the front of my 94 (non-disco D30) since around 2001. I've been very happy with it's street manners. I'd have no trouble at all suggesting it's use.

I didn't answer one of your questions. I have not had the binding issue in tight turns you refer to. That might crop up if I'm on the brakes, though.

Oh, and it's on 33x12.50s now.

I'm talking to a club member about gears and lockers, and another shop said that Detroit doesn't recommend a truetrac for the front without hubs because it can bind up when turning. I don't see how when in 2wd and no torque going through the diff, and I've never heard anyone say that who is running one.

Just checking it out. So, Jeff, you've never felt a thing I assume?

Goatman a member from AZ MIKE H. has been running front and rear on a daily drive for quite some time.you might PM him. i was interested in the true trac and saw his post regarding how well they worked for him..

friend of mine has one in the frt of his jeep, ive driven it, in 2wd its completley invisible,in 4wd it feel like a locker just dosnt lock though

We're having a discussion about whether you can feel (are any negatives) when running a Truetrac in the front of a non-disconnect D30. I thought plenty have run them and I've never heard anything negative about driveabilty on the street. Detroit seems to say a front Truetrac can bind a little when turning and don't recommend it for use without hubs.

Any experiences?

Richard,

The TT was the first traction device I had up front in my '98.
Road manners were outstanding, traction was great as long as you know how to finess the gas and brake.
Never had a problem during the 5 years I ran one.
IIRC Detroit TraTech recommended not to use with tires larger than 32s.

Charles

I'm talking to a club member about gears and lockers, and another shop said that Detroit doesn't recommend a truetrac for the front without hubs because it can bind up when turning. I don't see how when in 2wd and no torque going through the diff, and I've never heard anyone say that who is running one.

Just checking it out. So, Jeff, you've never felt a thing I assume?
Yup, even in tight corners. I'm planning on being out for the Fall Fling, if you want to play with it, you're more than welcome to.

Been running a front TT for about a year and a half now. '00. non disco, 30" tires. 'Never notice it in 2wd. Binding is not an issue. No unusual tire wear. Actually, I don't notice it in 4wd either until I need it, then HUGE difference in 4wd.

I'd recommend a TT for anybody who DDs their rig. Actually, unless it spends all it's time on a trailer, in big rocks, or deep mud, I'd recommend one for anyone.

Richard,

I've had a TT up front for years, and have never had any bad binding issues on the street. On very rare occasions there's occasional faint pop like it's unloading, but nothing that's ever concerned me. I inspect it every time I change fluids, and it looks fine. It seems pretty transparent for the most part and does what it's suppose to....

Ivan

friend of mine has one in the frt of his jeep, ive driven it, in 2wd its completley invisible,in 4wd it feel like a locker just dosnt lock though
I would agree with Rob.

I had one, i thought it worked ok as a traction device and was completely unnoticable otherwise with no binding whatsoever
I owned the same axle after Billy did.

I found it to be totally invisible in 2wd. If it did bind, it wasn't enough to plastically deform a shaft because all of my splines were straight when I sold the axle to someone else.

Been running one for about 3 years - like it isn't there in 2wd.

I've got a NP242 so I run it on the street too - in full-time it pushes a little but not bad at all - it mellows out the detroit in the back (which tends to want to break loose in the rain).

Off road, I'm happy with it for what this rig is built for, I've got another rig I thrash, clearance, and concern over body damage hold it back more than the TT in front.

Anyone rin it in snow though? I was wondering about it but we have ALOT of snow up here in Muskoka, Ontario, Canada. Just wondering myself if there is anyone tha has tried it in a DD in winter?

I drove mine for several years in the snow around Chicago, and up into Michigan. I'd do it again, no question about that.

I've driven it in the occasional snow and ice we've had here and it behaves nicely.

It really doesn't make sense for someone to say its not being recommended for front axles in vehicles without locking hubs: From Eaton: Can Truetrac be used in the front axles of full time 4 wheel drive jeeps and trucks? Yes, it can.

I have had a TT in the front D30 for the past 6+ years. It has been unnoticeable on the road. I cannot attest to advantages or disadvantages in bad weather, since the desert doesn't have any.

Back