• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Truss/reinforcement kit for Dana 30

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

Some time ago I came across a axle/Jeep fabrication parts site that had what was effectively a truss kit for the Dana 30, however, I can't seem to find it again. This was not a full truss - it was simply several pieces of weld-on steel to reinforce the axle tubes at the pumpkin, the knuckles, and a couple other points of the axle. Has anyone seen what I'm referring to? Since I'm doing a bench build of a HP30 I'd like to reinforce it some, but see no need for a full truss given the ultimate uses of this rig.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Campbell

Thanks for the tip... One thing I find perplexing about that truss is the absence of UCA mounts. Are the factory UCA mounts retained, or did they omit them from the rendering?

Gotcha, I'll give them a look... Thanks man.

I'm still hoping to hunt down the weld-on gusset kit I found some time ago. Unfortunately, I have not had such luck thus far but will post details once I do. It was effectively steel plating (maybe 3/16" thick) that reinforced the outer C's and the pumpkin on each side. Pretty low-profile overall (more of a reinforcement kit than anything). Given the HP30's intended use on this XJ, I'm not sure I really need a full truss and would simply like to add a "peace of mind" factor to the axle.

If you can weld you can probably fabricate the inner C upper arm gussets yourself from 3/16 or 1/4 plate easily. The truss/tube-to-housing gussets or mini-truss I would buy premade though.

While you are at it, replace the LCA brackets with 3/16 or 1/4 plate, hopefully the kit you get will include new ones prestamped/cut at the right angles. The stock ones suck, I have buckled one mildly on a potholed dirt road with stock tires/suspension and ripped two off with ~4" lift and 32s/33s, though those ones were heavily rusted, it has happened to others with no rust damage.

Gotcha, I'll give them a look... Thanks man.

I'm still hoping to hunt down the weld-on gusset kit I found some time ago. Unfortunately, I have not had such luck thus far but will post details once I do. It was effectively steel plating (maybe 3/16" thick) that reinforced the outer C's and the pumpkin on each side. Pretty low-profile overall (more of a reinforcement kit than anything). Given the HP30's intended use on this XJ, I'm not sure I really need a full truss and would simply like to add a "peace of mind" factor to the axle.

I haven't seen one that has pumpkin reinforcement, but I have seen this:

http://tandjperformance.com/store/i...roducts_id=9&zenid=3ubl5trjn4occv2unp1sq69t25

I have one but haven't installed the C gussets yet, just the UCA reinforcement.

I built my own out of 2x4x3/16 box. I did not gusset the C's, I don't plan on jumping it and I'm running Longfield CV shafts so there is no chance of a joint taking the knuckle out.

P1020210.jpg

P1020209.jpg

Back