• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1 tons with leaf springs on all corners...

robs

NAXJA Forum User
Against my much better judgement... I'm actually posting. Why? Because I've read SO much here and at Pirate my head is swimming and I'm not sure which way to go.. I know there's NO chance at a fair shake at Pirate... Not sure it's much better here.. but I'll try..

Search? Yes. Months and months worth of it. This thread most helpful... http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=988721&highlight=front+leaf+conversion

What. Scored a 14 bolt and a Tera 60 kingpin style front...

1ton4.jpg

Plated the rear frame with 1/8" stampings. Laid them over top each other, so it's basically 1/4" thick in most places...

1ton18.jpg

Dropped the rear hangers 3" and made the shacke angle adjustable in position... Happy how it turned out...

1ton28.jpg

Dropped the front hangers 3" and boxed them in (will also box in the whole frame to the rocker skids)... it's right at 7" or so lift with the Rubicon 3.5 springs and 2" shackes...

1ton31.jpg

Made a cross brace.. tied it to the gas tank skid... boxed in what could be...

1ton39.jpg

Got the 14 bolt in... angled right... brakes, shocks and limit strap are needed, but can do all of that later... Here it is with the re-centered H1 tire / wheel combo..

1ton49.jpg

Front is stripped down... I'm going to start plating the frame while more homework is done.

Why post? I'm not a masochist.. but the flames will start... I'm trying to figure out the front leaf set up... I don't have a problem frenching in the mounts. From what I've read so far, shackles should be in the back to keep from bending the leaf... Front shackes would be much easier...

I want about 7" total lift.. Not sure of what leaf to score or how to set up.. Front shackles are suppose to "dig in" better when compressing (perhaps why they bend)... rear shackles move axle "away" from what is being compressed...

If you want to tell me I'm stupid for leaf set ups, just get it out of your system and have fun. I won't read it.

Looking for what people have done.. what works and what don't... I'm way too confused from the homework...

Let it begin... :)

Got the 14 bolt in... angled right... brakes, shocks and limit strap are needed, but can do all of that later... Here it is with the re-centered H1 tire / wheel combo..

What do you need limit straps for if it's leaf sprung? It's not like you are going to have problems un-seating springs:wierd:

if i had the welding skills, parts and gear to put in, and most importantly the time to do it, i would be doing the same project. Good luck, it looks good so far !

Why leafs? Death wobble issues with present set up. Leaves are dead simple and robust.

BDS YJ leafs... yes..

Front or rear shackles? I've seen mostly front. From those that have done it pros/cons? If frenched into the frame to get proper geometry, you still get 7" lift with the 3.5 springs?

Factory front leafs have the shackle in the front for a variety of reasons. The biggest is the DS. With the shackle in front, the DS expands as the suspension cycles, in back it will collapse the length. Ride wise, yes, back shackles are better as you are not forcing the axle to move into an obstruction.

My .02

If you want to tell me I'm stupid for leaf set ups, just get it out of your system and have fun. I won't read it.

k

Why leafs? Death wobble issues with present set up. Leaves are dead simple and robust.

you can fix deathwobble easier than fabricating a front leaf setup
and in my opinion, have a much nicer, more capable suspension

k done

i did it about 3 months ago. I didn't like the YJ leafs because they're too short. I went with FSJ waggy leafs and stock YJ shackles. Gave me about 5" in the front, but with a longer shackle you could get your 7".

100_9769.jpg

038.jpg

005-3.jpg

my only qyestion is if youre gonna run bigger tires? with the tires mocked up in the pic, looks like youd be lucky to worry about the suspension and not the diffs grabbing every pepple stickin out of the ground :dunno:

For anyone thinking about this type of conversion...

Spring dims

leafdims2.gif

Front mounts (tied to bumper & reinforced frame. Made removable so they can be adjusted easier.

1ton58.jpg

Rear mounts. Frenched in. Bolt is 3-1/2" from floor board.

1ton67.jpg

Was attemping to make this a bit more rigid. Stock YJ length at 4"

1ton77.jpg

Tranfercase cross member on 37" is at 22" Rear is 7-1/2" lift. Front is about 1" taller with this set up, including frenched rear mount.

1ton78.jpg

looks good. Be sure to incorporate an anti kick-back mechanism on the front shackle to keep it from inverting.

i did it about 3 months ago. I didn't like the YJ leafs because they're too short. I went with FSJ waggy leafs and stock YJ shackles. Gave me about 5" in the front, but with a longer shackle you could get your 7".

100_9769.jpg

038.jpg

005-3.jpg

Stock waggy springs i assume? got anymore pics of that setup? i am building a bastard pack for my conversion now

as for the work to go to leaves, if youre converting a dana 30 to leaves on an XJ that seems like too much....but i think if youre going to one tons and need to fabricate mounts for them anywya, leaves arent a bad idea if the axles are already setup for leaves. i mean id be very happy with a dana 60 up front and a 14 bolt in the rear on leaves...plus he has high steer for way cheaper than on an xj assuming he got a deal on the axles

Back