• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bent tie rod

holyshift

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 2000 jeep cherokee and was at my friends farm late at night. i pulled up and saw a stump in front of me so i parked. when i was leaving that night i had forgot about the stump and pulled forward. it went under my car then hit the tie rod. i heard it so i backed up and it made an even louder noise. looked at it and saw that it was bent up about a foot away ffrom my front left tire. it doesnt look like it was bent much, is it still salvage-able? or do i need a new one? can i just get it re-alighned? thanks.

You can bend it back with pry bars, come along and such. I did it for a number of years until I upgraded. However it will never be as strong as it was. If you get it reasonably straight, you won't need to get it realigned. You can use the V8 ZJ tie rod as a cheap upgrade.

Bend it back or grab another one, doesnt have to be new, just not compromised.

X2 on what 4.3LXJ said, I generally get V8 ZJ tie rods for like 10-20 bucks at the local junkyards. Takes 5 minutes to pull once you have a little practice.

not really, just has to be a V8 one. 93 to 98 is your range (all ZJs.)

If you pull one off an I6 equipped ZJ instead, it will work, but it won't be a "free" upgrade, since the I6 equipped ZJs use the same tie rod as the XJ.

They'll work and they are also stronger / an upgrade.

In fact the V8 ZJ tie rod is (at least to me) easier to adjust, the TRE at the drag link end is actually built into the tie rod and the adjuster is only a couple inches long instead of having to spin the whole tie rod tube.

If it helps, here's a photo of the ZJ tie rod I installed a couple of days ago. Take a look at the adjustement sleeve on the right for an idea of what kastein was talking about.

DSCN5060.jpg

Back