• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check Engine after water

Nova Wake

NAXJA Forum User
Well i have a 95 4x4 auto 4.0 Cherokee sport and the thing runs like a top, anyways whenever i hit a large puddle and spray water the check engine light eventually comes on, once dry it goes away. I believe i counted 16 flashes. When it happens i don't really have any issues arise and it drives about the same.

My 1998 had an issue with the check engine light turning on whenever the engine got wet. Turns out the battery temperature sensor wires had cut insulation. Whenever water got down there, the sensor wires would short triggering the check engine light. Removed the battery, taped up the sensor wires, replaced battery, and no problems since.

Is the check engine still on? and 16 flashes doesnt mean anything you need to learn how to read the sequence. Just as an example if it flashed one time pause three times pause, then five times pause five times, that would mean 13 (or whatever trouble code), and then 55 which is end of codes.

Or you could put a scanner/reader on it and pull the stored number codes so you know what the problem is.

Just a suggestion.

Any idea where to get an OBD-I reader for XJs/MJs for reasonably cheap actually?

I've been meaning to add one to the tool collection for a while but haven't found one that will not bankrupt me.

no engine light goes off after a few minutes if i turn the car off and back on, it won't ever come back on again until it gets wet again, if i get it to turn on again ill write down the sequence better, but id have to purposely find a puddle to do so, it won't go on with just regular rain or small puddles only puddles about a foot deep and if i hit them fast. i cant get a hold of a reader and money is tight. i was hoping someone may had had similar problems, so i could figure out why, im not overly concerned since it goes off and doesn't turn on every time i start the car its just a cause of attention and was hoping i could narrow down where to look for a bad wire or whatever is causing it before it may cause other issues. . If i can get a scanner for cheap I'd like to know where.

When I drive fast through a large pool of water with my XJ, the check engine light come on, the generator light come on and the power steering stop working. I keep going like nothing at all happpens. After about 20 seconds the XJ is perfect again.
When the accessory drive belt get wet, it slips around the crankshaft pulley until it dries. I could duplicate this in the driveway.

With the engine at idle speed and the AC on full, I get a water hose and pour water over the belt. When the AC compressor engages again, the belt slips resulting in the generator light and the check engine light iluminating. I am not sure that is what you are experiencing. :dunno:

Unlike the earlier Renix real-time system, the OBDI and OBDII STORE codes, so even if the light goes away the codes are still there.

Here is 5-90's OBDI link, so check your codes: http://www.kelleyswip.com/obd1.html

Ok I wrote down the flashes this time, they go as follows.
One flash, two flash.
Two flash, one flash
Five flash, five flash.
So if I'm reading it right, those are codes 12, 21, 55 right? So I need to replace something,

OBDI codes: http://www.kelleyswip.com/obd1.html

12, battery has been disconnected.
21, HEGO (o2) sensor signal isn't correct or shorted.
55, end of codes.

And no, you MIGHT need to replace something or fix some wiring. OBD codes tell you that the PCM is not receiving a certain signal within pre-programmed parameters.

Back