• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

got the lift on...really bad gear clash noise...

moparmansfield

NAXJA Forum User
just installed the 3.5 super-ride with leafs kit...now on decell it sounds like the transfer case is binding or something...really harsh gear sound. i also swapped the d35 for the 8.25 so i thought the dshaft would work because of the different yoke lengths and all that? any advice?

zztopp.jpg

did you install a tranfer case drop with the kit?

did you make sure your rear drive shaft is still long enough with or without a tc drop?

if you did not your rear drive shaft may be too short, about to pop out of the transfer case.

did you install a tranfer case drop with the kit?

did you make sure your rear drive shaft is still long enough with or without a tc drop?

if you did not your rear drive shaft may be too short, about to pop out of the transfer case.

i posted a thread before i bought the kit saying my plans and a few people told me with a 3inch lift and axle swap the shaft should work perfect. i dont have the tcase drop but im thinkin thats coming in the near future. i really dont want to have to put on a sye. for a 3.5" lift...

nah you def. don't need a fancy dancy SYE. (unless you just wanted one)

hmm.

i would still keep an eye on that slip yoke on the rear drive shaft to make sure its in the neighborhood of where it needs to be.

well i gotta run!

Did you ensure the right gears are in the 8.25 to match your front?

The t-case drop is a good start.
Just to make sure, are you aware of the driveline angles for a stock shaft are to be parallel from t-case to pinion and not pointing the pinion at the t-case? (did that make sense? lol) -B

Did you ensure the right gears are in the 8.25 to match your front?

The t-case drop is a good start.
Just to make sure, are you aware of the driveline angles for a stock shaft are to be parallel from t-case to pinion and not pointing the pinion at the t-case? (did that make sense? lol) -B

yes. both 3.55s.
and yes i am aware of that.

after checking it out some more im pretty sure the splines on the shaft are pulled out too far and on decell when the axle tilts down some, it pulls it out a little farther and causes some noise. hopefully i havent caused any damage. im just bummed that it didnt work out how people said it would. o welllll

nah you def. don't need a fancy dancy SYE. (unless you just wanted one)

thats funny, i see a late model in his pics. but you say late models never need a sye on a 'small?' 3.5" lift?

i rock early models, so i dont know 100% for sure, but everything ive read says later models can run into slip yoke issues at as low as 2" lift. that 3.5" may be as much as a 4".

as far as the OP, thats great that you dont want to do an sye and all, but you shouldve thought about that before you did a lift.

people say a lot of stupid shit. like saying you wont need a sye on a 3.5" lift kit, i suggest you find the guy who told you that, and thank him for spreading bad info, drop $700 a pm too, he's trying to spread the same info.
next time mention what year jeep you have, it does matter.

thats funny, i see a late model in his pics. but you say late models never need a sye on a 'small?' 3.5" lift?

i rock early models, so i dont know 100% for sure, but everything ive read says later models can run into slip yoke issues at as low as 2" lift. that 3.5" may be as much as a 4".

as far as the OP, thats great that you dont want to do an sye and all, but you shouldve thought about that before you did a lift.

people say a lot of stupid shit. like saying you wont need a sye on a 3.5" lift kit, i suggest you find the guy who told you that, and thank him for spreading bad info, drop $700 a pm too, he's trying to spread the same info.
next time mention what year jeep you have, it does matter.

whoa there buddy. this is my 4th xj and the only late model ive had, i had a 4.5 lift(looks as tall as my 3.5 though...) with no sye on my 93 and had no vibes or any problems at all-np231-8.25. that was why i didnt think id need a sye. and thats why i posted a pic of the jeep, so anyone replying would know its a newer one.. but now i have a 242 and swapped axles from d35 to 8.25 and with the d35 shaft being longer than the 8.25 shaft i thought i would get lucky and not have to do anything to make it work right.

Last edited:
im scolding $700 for spreading bad info, not you. i didnt mean for it to come out negatively, but everytime the sye debate comes around, you'll go 1-2 pages of people saying yes/no without anyone asking what year. it's a common problem.

im sorry that youre research said you'd be fine, but this is reality, and it seems like your driveshaft is too short. we gonna talk about it all day, or are you gonna get a proper driveline setup?

dont blame me, i didnt say you wouldnt need a sye, if you absolutely cant afford the sye, you shouldnt have lifted it.

yeah my jeep is a '94, i'm at 5" of lift with a 1 1/4 transfer case drop. the slip yoke is right where it was when it was at factory height.

the OP was saying that with his axle swap, he thought that he may not need to address the t case.

but yes, stereotypically any xj that has a lift may need a tc drop of some kind or a SYE.

or you could lift it a foot and just get a longer driveshaft and YJ yoke.

Last edited:
yeah my jeep is a '94, i'm at 5" of lift with a 1 1/4 transfer case drop. the slip yoke is right where it was when it was at factory height.

the OP was saying that with his axle swap, he thought that he may not need to address the t case.

but yes, stereotypically any xj that has a lift may need a tc drop of some kind or a SYE.

or you could lift it a foot and just get a longer driveshaft and YJ yoke.
yj yoke aint gonna help him as he has a 97+ with the diff tcase outputr to the op, your ujoints are prob binding up against the yokes so your gonna need a tcase drop or sye

Also did you put any shims in the rear to improve your drive line angle there. I have a 97 and when I did my first stage of my lift at 4'' I needed an SYE as soon as I lifted it that was with an 8.25 and a 231tcase. But I found an AA SYE on Online for 190shipped and got another front ds at the junkyard and all is fixed.

im scolding $700 for spreading bad info, not you. i didnt mean for it to come out negatively, but everytime the sye debate comes around, you'll go 1-2 pages of people saying yes/no without anyone asking what year. it's a common problem.

im sorry that youre research said you'd be fine, but this is reality, and it seems like your driveshaft is too short. we gonna talk about it all day, or are you gonna get a proper driveline setup?

dont blame me, i didnt say you wouldnt need a sye, if you absolutely cant afford the sye, you shouldnt have lifted it.

ok negative nancy. go find another thread to shit on. i already know what i need to do.

and to the other post about shims. i didnt shim it as the angle looks ok, but then again, i dont have to much experience with setting up those angles to work best.

ok negative nancy. go find another thread to shit on. i already know what i need to do.

and to the other post about shims. i didnt shim it as the angle looks ok, but then again, i dont have to much experience with setting up those angles to work best.
take XCM's advice, you will need a sye down the road, save up your pennies and get a sye

hey moparman, sorry if i ruined your day with my bad info! negative nancy is partly right though, i don't have any experience with the late model t cases. once apon a time io wned a '99...but that one was 2wd. :angel:

take XCM's advice, you will need a sye down the road, save up your pennies and get a sye

that is the plan. just gotta wait till payday.

i am having a hard time finding a sye kit for the 242 though

Last edited:
You're most likely gonna have to do a hack-n-tap for the 242.

I've got the same kit (3.5 superide) on my 99, no problems at all. No gear grinding, no vibes, and definitely no sye or t-case drop. I've come to find that it all depends on your exact Jeep. They're all different. Yes, the late models do seem to be more prone to more vibes at lower heights, but I have no problem at all.

I'd advice you put in a t-case drop, some shims, and go from there. If it's still making noise, do like everyone else suggested. Save up for a sye.

i choose to shit on this thread, because you obviously know you need a sye, yet here you are, bitching and moaning about it. wah wah wah. shit or get off the pot.

you're not even a member, so shhh. go save up for your sye.

i did a TC drop on my 2000 and it brought my drive shaft pretty much back into the ball park of where it was suppose to be, i actually pulled mine out so far before the tc drop that it ripped that lil rubber boot so a tc drop should be a big help. ALSO a word of advice, with that tc drop your going to have to relocate your tc shift linkage. simply adjusting mine didnt fix my issue, i had to remove the mount on the driver side body and redrill the holes 3/4" lower and it has been working good since i did it, dont forget to get some sorta plugs to seal the old holes or u might have some water leakage in the rainy months =). hope this helps

i choose to shit on this thread, because you obviously know you need a sye, yet here you are, bitching and moaning about it. wah wah wah. shit or get off the pot.

you're not even a member, so shhh. go save up for your sye.

did you not see the post above yours? if i can get away with a simpler and cheaper option than a hackntap+dshaft (because no one makes an actuall kit), i will try. thats why i posted this thread. stop bein a dbag.

Back