• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunk in rear

CaliXJ

NAXJA Forum User
91 4.0 AW4 4.5 RC longarm kit W/ full leaf packs.

Ok so over the past few days i noticed this clunking noise in the rear when turning hard left or right only. It's not a loud noise but enough to make me wonder, WTF was that? There is rubbing on the rear shackles and shackle boxs due to my crapp shackle angles. I'm also starting to notice the Pass side leaf bushing (front bushing) is starting to work its way twards one side of the leaf. Meaning it is no longer centered in the leaf. Is this a common problem with RC rear springs? If so, will RC send me a new set to fix the problem?

Sounds like you need new bushings. Most companies won't warranty bushings. How long have you had the springs installed?

Maybe bar pin thump?

Yeah, bushings are probably not going to be warranty. When you installed them, did you wait to torque the bolts/nuts until the full weight of the vehicle was resting on the springs? If you torque the bolt/nuts without the vehicle resting fully on the springs the bushings will prematurely fail.

Check your shocks--those stupid bar pins will bind up and pop-clunk something fierce.

The short answer is yes. Xj at full rest when I did final torque. My lift is less than 6 mo. Old. I guess I will call RC and see what the say.

Back