• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ill be doing a rattle can job soon, some questions

rocklandxjer

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, i dont know if you've already seen the thread about my new "project DD" jeep, but i got one for $150 bucks in great RUNNING condition. the paints pretty ugly now and there are some rusty metal spots, so ive been sanding and bondoing to get it nice and flush for painting.

heres my questions

1) how much of the origional paint do i need to sand down? I figured if i sanded down through the clear coat i should be fine, and wouldnt have to prime the whole thing.

2) how do the rattle can jobs come out. I want to pick a nice calm low humidity day, with no wind so it comes out even, but will a flat color look nice and shiney after a clear coat layer is put on? i dont really like the flat color look, and i know if i get a gloss that it will be blotchy...

Thanks guys, in advance

Travis

when i did mine i didnt have much clear coat left so i sanded enough to scuff it up with a fine grit then i sprayed it with a heavy coat but not heavy enough to run and it took me about 10 cans. and it looks great i get compliments all the time and people cant believe it is rattle can. if you pm me your email i will send you pics.

thats what i figured, i didnt want to have to prime and base coat the whole thing so i was hoping that the primer and base coat from-factory were enough, it seems that they are, so ill just prime and coat the few rust spots that are already there.
Thanks, any other tips guys?

I would primer the whole rig to make sure the paint sticks good. I have painted a lot of rigs and have had some bad paint jobs because of not doing a good prep job.

No need to prime the whole rig, only bare metal spots. Remove the clear and scuff the base and your good. Use a fan type nozzle can if you want to use gloss (Krylon rust touigh works well). It comes out looking very nice but it WILL NOT last as long and a proper spray job.

ha ha. well after much thought about it, i decided to scrap the idea of going with a nice color (like pink of course) and go either black or yellow. it will most likely wind up black though. the tan interior will be a nice offset, kinda like a guiness.

Say I want to do a ratte can job now, but then get it 'discount auto painters' painted later for a little more professional touch - will the rattle can hurt the finish and look of the other paint job?

(im talking about my DD MJ here - not my POS with yellow all over it :D)

i would think not, if they spray over it it would just be more likely to chip, not see through.

you can get an auto paint job for as low as like 120 around me. the only reason im not doing it is because im trying to see how cheap i can get it done.

The OD Camo colors like Khaki and Green from Wallyworld turn out pretty nice too. The Khaki color is really good about hiding spray pattterns

Rattle can paint jobs look just like that, a rattle can job, you'll be able to tell right away that is not a proper paint job. I'm not saying not to do it I'm just saying don't expect to see a great, nice looking paint job.

the best looking rattlecan paint job you can do is flat colors. flat colors look the same no matter what you spray them with. you could spray it with a straw and turkey baster and flats will come out good. just a thought... also flat makes for nice camo print

Back