• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disc brakes for Dana 35

keith_b00ne

NAXJA Forum User
Does the 95 - 98 Grand Cherokee rear disc brakes fit my 87 XJ with a Dana 35 rear end? Is it a direct sway or is modification required? I think the 95-98 Grands are Dana 35's.

Thanks!

Speaking from experience......DO IT!!! I did mine a few months back and couldn't be happier! I put those same brackets/calipers/rotors from a 93-98 G.C. on my 94 C8.25 and it made a WORLD of difference in Braking. With the size tires I run, I needed all the help I could to stop. It now stops as good if not better when it had stock tires on it. I did have to modify the brackets a little, but if your's is a direct bolt on, by all means DO IT. You might have to watch out for the length of brake hardline that went into your wheel cylinders when you switch over. The length is a little long so just kinda tweak and twist it a little so the soft line of the caliper isnt all bunched up when you put the wheel on it hits.

Oh and you dont "have" to switch out for the G.C. proportion valve. Just install the larger M.C. from a 96-98 XJ and you'll be fine. Keep the original Prop valve so you dont have to configure more brake line than you have to.

Just my $0.02...............well i guess thats more like $0.50

Last edited:
Speaking from experience......DO IT!!! I did mine a few months back and couldn't be happier! I put those same brackets/calipers/rotors from a 93-98 G.C. on my 94 C8.25 and it made a WORLD of difference in Braking. With the size tires I run, I needed all the help I could to stop. It now stops as good if not better when it had stock tires on it. I did have to modify the brackets a little, but if your's is a direct bolt on, by all means DO IT. You might have to watch out for the length of brake hardline that went into your wheel cylinders when you switch over. The length is a little long so just kinda tweak and twist it a little so the soft line of the caliper isnt all bunched up when you put the wheel on it hits.

i agree, buy an 8.25 and do it to that.

of course we're gonna try and stop you, that 35 is a peice of shit.

x2, XXXX the 35. Do the swap on something worthwhile that you'll likely keep (read - something that won't obliterate into a million teeny tiny shards after five minutes on the trail).

Love my discs, but they came with the 8.8 :)

then he's allready spent too much on it, and broken rule 35d.

... if you wheel easy, go ahead and do it, theres writeups for it, and kits everywhere... but it's a bad idea.

then he's allready spent too much on it, and broken rule 35d.

... if you wheel easy, go ahead and do it, theres writeups for it, and kits everywhere... but it's a bad idea.

He bought it that way...whole jeep for $750 with 33's and gears

Pfff, if it came with the rig, honestly I'd still save for a better axle (be it an 8.25, D44, 8.8, what-have-you). Swap to discs and gear if possible. I'm not well versed in gears, but I wonder if he'd be able to get the carrier for a different axle and re-use the same gears to save some coin... That way there's a back-up built axle ready for install once the D35 craps the bed.

Yeah, the discs will bolt on directly. Buy the parts, throw them on the D35 & call it good untill the axle takes a dump and dies. Hopefully before then, you'll have bought an 8.25, geared it, put a stout diff cover & maybe an aussie locker in the back & just have the thing waiting to transfer brakes onto.

Thats what I'd do: swap the brakes & start piecing together your next axle, waiting till you find good deals each step of the way. Try not to mash the skinny pedal until you get an 8.25 swapped in.

I have the 8.25 in the rear of my XJ and did the disc brake conversion, it works great, especially when I am towing. I will be selling my entire rear axle very soon with the discs on it since I picked up a Ford 8.8 with discs.

If you look carefully at the cast bracket the caliper bolts to, the ZJ and 8.8 discs are only a couple part numbers from each other.

What size tires are you running? Gears?

8.8 could score you a stronger axle, discs, and 4:10 gears for $100 more than putting discs on the D35.

Back