• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 xj running lean popping through intake

green95xj

NAXJA Forum User
97 xj 4.0 ax-15 np231. Jeep has 48 psi of fuel presure and has a loss of power and backfires through the throttle body. Any ideas? It also throws a code saying bank 1 running lean. Any help greatly apreciated. Also has both brand new o2 sensors within the last 2 months.

sounds like it's time to change out the filter/regulator assembly that is on top of the fuel pump module.

just because it has good pressure does not mean the volume is there.

1. Pull the plugs and read their condition, Google "reading spark plugs".

2. Post back with your results.

Thanks for the replies I'm going out to work on it now. I'll post up my results when I
finished thanks again.

Backfiring and code verify a lean condition.

Inspect all exhaust hardware closely for leaks (manifold, etc).

Get a fuel pressure gauge and get a reading from the schrader valve on the fuel rail. For a 98, you should have 49.2 psi plus or minus 5 psi. It could be something else, but ruling fuel pressure in or out is something that should be done early in the troubleshooting process.

This could also be the infamous distributor drive gear roll pin in action. It only takes a minute or so to pop off the distributor cap and give the rotor a twist, should be tight.

Back