• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intro thread / Give me suggestions

96RCxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi friends. I'm a long time Toyota guy and previous FJ80 LandCruiser owner. I've always wanted to get into the XJ scene, and have just recently lucked into a nice project Jeep. It's a 96 XJ w/ 6.5'' RC long arm kit and 35's. The previous owner said it was a Florida Bay area police vehicle, and they had added an oil cooler and had the bottom of the jeep undercoated. He bought it w/ 90xxx miles and it now has 107xxx miles. It's a 5speed w/ a D30 front axle and Chrysler 8.25 rear. The front fenders have been trimmed (albeit poorly) and the rears need some trimming. Something in the steering system is leaking power steering fluid, and I am wondering if a drop pitman arm was installed w/ the lift (maybe you guys have some ideas). I'm also looking for some opinions on high lift fenders (Bushwacker or Rustys?), and which direction should I go from here?? I have a modification budget of around 2k. I've been told I need to do 4.56 gears front and rear and lockers front and rear. Any suggestions are appreciated! :cheers: Here are some pics guys!
IMG00009-20100702-0934.jpg

IMG00011-20100705-1039.jpg

Nice looking jeep. You are going to want to keep it nice looking right? gears and lockers like you said, front and rear bumpers, and sliders are a must. I'd probably cut out the section of the fender that is behind the plastic piece of your front bumper and move the axle 1/4" to 1/2" forward

I have a 5.5" RE lift and have the same leak in the power steering that you do. Its slow so I don't worry about it :p

Get some front tow points and a rear hitch, rock sliders, and some protection underneath (t-case and gas tank skid).

Do you know if your 8.25 rear end is a 27 or 29 spline? Do some research on the strength of it and decide if you want to regear/lock it or upgrade to something better. If it is a 29 spline I say lock the rear with a lunchbox locker and regear to 4.56 and call it done until you want to truss/add protection.

I'm running 4.56s on 33s and like it however that is as deep as I could have gone with my 8.25 so I didn't have a choice.

Here's some info on trimming the rear quarter panel.

http://www.naxja.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29750
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/cut-fold-rear-lower-quarter-panels-right-way-1007865/

Look up cutting and folding the rear fender - you cut vertical lines in the fender (I used a jigsaw) however far you want to trim. This creates ~1" tabs that you grab with pliers and fold backwards to preserve the seal in the fenders. Then you lightly hammer and you're done. Really simple.

welcome.

4.56 and aussie locker(s) will transform this thing quite a bit!
search around locally for someone to do your gears --having them done at a shop will suck that budget dry, in your area i promise theres a semi-pro who can do it for cheap--

The 8.25 rear end should be a 29 spline since it's a 96 xj & I understand that Aussie doesn't make a locker for that rear. I guess I just need to find a place to order a powertrax locker for the rear and a 4.56 gear set for the front and back. I just ordered some bushwacker fender cutouts and BOY ARE THEY EXPENSIVE. :mad:

The 8.25 rear end should be a 29 spline since it's a 96 xj :mad:

Double check that 96 was the change over year. Could be 27 or 29 spline find out before ordering a locker. JIM.

time for a steering box upgrade! good looking rig though lockers and gears would do wonders for that thing

For the moment I'm really more concerned about improving my gas mileage a bit and making it a clean DD. The budget is getting thinner by the day, so I'm thinking about just taking it one axle at a time and doing a 4.56 gear (possibly a 4.88?? are they available for the C8.25?) and a powertrax no-slip in the rear axle and leaving the front axle as-is for the time being and pray I don't have to use 4wd. Any expert commentary on that idea? :)

You can get 4.88's for the 8.25. If you do the rear only for now pull the front drive shaft.

The 8.25 rear end should be a 29 spline since it's a 96 xj & I understand that Aussie doesn't make a locker for that rear. I guess I just need to find a place to order a powertrax locker for the rear and a 4.56 gear set for the front and back. I just ordered some bushwacker fender cutouts and BOY ARE THEY EXPENSIVE. :mad:

NOT true, My 96 had a 27 spline. The local Jeep dealer couldn't tell me what I had even after giving them the VIN. I had to pull an axle to get the bad news. No worry's a 29 spline rear can be found for cheap.

I'm also looking for some opinions on high lift fenders (Bushwacker or Rustys?), and which direction should I go from here?? I have a modification budget of around 2k. I've been told I need to do 4.56 gears front and rear and lockers front and rear. Any suggestions are appreciated! :cheers:
1) Screw Bushwackers - overpriced and easily broken. Throw some TJ or YJ flares on it and call it good. Personally, I went with YJ flares because I don't like the side-marker on the front of the TJ flares. Also, the YJ's have a flat spot on the front fenders where the side-marker lights mount. I took off the backing plate and plan on installing some 55w driving lights aimed at 45* for night-wheeling (same lights I have for my reverse lights).
31999_446304301912_642731912_5675656_2743060_n.jpg

I went with a full set of front/rear flares due mainly to time constraints (fix-it ticket). I would've liked to get four rear flares, as I think they look a little bit better. However, these work in a pinch and I'm happy with 'em
2) Personally with 35's, I'd go with 4.88's as previously mentioned. I fell your pain a little at the moment, running 5-spd as well (so same 3.07 gears) but only on 33's and it SUCKS. Can't imagine yours! x2 on the previously mentioned upgrading the front-end (and rear if you're going to keep it, see #3) shafts due to stress and such associated with 35's, especially if you're going to lock the front.
3) Also as previously mentioned, I'd verify which rear-end spline-count you have. With a $2k budget I'd look into swapping out the rearend and sticking a Ford 8.8 in there. Can be done for around $650 or so.
4) Lockers, but being a Yota I'm assuming you have some experience off-road and already know the benefits of lockers. I'd highly recommend saving up and doing the gears and lockers together, especially if you're having someone else install them. No point in going in there twice! Also, I'd recommend determining whether you plan on swapping rear-ends out. Again, no point in spending money to regear something you're getting rid of later.
5) Armor - lots of it. Sliders at minimum, some decent bumpers. RECOVERY POINTS! I can't really tell in the pictures, but it doesn't look like there are any on the rig at all. C4x4 has a good set of front tow-hooks for around $75, including hardware and brackets. Some of the best money I've spent so far - still designing a front bumper that I like.
6) If it hasn't already, I'd take a peek at the exhaust manifold and see if it's cracked. If it hasn't, it more than likey is going to - mine-as-well swap it out for a header, or save for one to swap at your convenience.

X2 on the 8.25 info, you can pick up a 29 spline for 100 bucks at most you-pull-it yards.

I would turn around and sell those bushwhackers, those take a huge piece out of your budget, look into cheaper alternatives like Rubicon stock flares or TJ/YJ stock flares. You can make em look pretty nice if you do it right.

Like JeeperMatt just said, 4 rear TJ/YJ flares look pretty nice, I picked up two sets of rear TJ flares at an all you can carry event for 80 bucks (along with a bunch of other stuff) never got around to installing them so I sold them to another local guy for 40 bucks. He then sold them to a friend of mine for 20 bucks... you really can pick up a deal on them if you look around.

NOT true, My 96 had a 27 spline. The local Jeep dealer couldn't tell me what I had even after giving them the VIN. I had to pull an axle to get the bad news. No worry's a 29 spline rear can be made for cheap.
Fixed for you. All you need is a carrier (which if you get a full case locker, like a Detroit you can specify the 29 spline, and then get some 29 spline shafts. If you go to alloys, that's a perfect time for the upgrade.

With a stick you might not need/want to go all the way to 4.56 or 4.88. The stick came with lower gears to begin with in the the transmission so you can get by with taller axle gears if you want.

Nice looking jeep. You are going to want to keep it nice looking right? gears and lockers like you said, front and rear bumpers, and sliders are a must. I'd probably cut out the section of the fender that is behind the plastic piece of your front bumper and move the axle 1/4" to 1/2" forward

So how do I go about moving the front axle 1/2'' forward? any specific guide you can point me to? Thanks much :cheers:

he's got rc long arms. should he just be able to adjust the lower arm out on both sides?

Back