• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Black capsule in bumper on passenger side.

Bathgate

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone tell me the function of the black capsule inside the bumper of my 91 Im putting a new bumper on and the capsule has a hole in it. Do I need a new one.

It should be the vacuum canister. Is it a big hole? If it is the vac canister it shold have a couple vacumm lines running to it and those plug into the ports on it.

It has a hole the size of a quarter in it. It has a small air tube running into the end. What is it's function?

The function is to store some vacuum, to make sure that vacuum operated accessories don't switch on and off when you hit the throttle. The heater controls, the vacuum disconnect front axle, and cruise control all use vacuum, so it's a good idea to keep that system tight. As a temporary measure it's better just to plug the vacuum line and eliminate the canister than it is to leave it leaking. If you have only one line, you probably don't have cruise, and the heater controls don't require much reserve, but if you have a vacuum disconnect axle, the canister will help prevent it from popping out of 4WD under heavy throttle conditions.

Matthew Currie has it about covered. The only thing I would add is to relocate the vacuum reservoir into the engine compartment, that way you can eliminate 4' or so of problematic vacuum line. The vacuum line likes to break in the area of the battery a lot of times.

X2.

A hole the size of a quarter does mean you need to replace it (or duct tape appropriately), that's way bigger than the vac line going to it.

The smaller, square one from a TJ, is a lot easier to find new mounting spot for - rather than relocating the XJ football.

I have one mounted on the crossmember under the radiator. Easy, tidy mod.

Dont know whether capacity is important in regard to diff or cruise operation though.

These guys are wrong. It's the Flux Capacitator in 1984-1996 models. In 1997 it was replaced by a Phase Transamplifier, which functions much more efficiently. The purpose of both is to produce 80s New Waves. Back in 1984 they attracted yuppies and Flocks of Seagulls. Now it's 2010, but the New Waves are supposed to impress those retro 80s chicks who should be flocking like seagulls to our XJs... But I don't think mine is working well though. Should I replace it with the NAPA Heavy Duty Phase Transamplifier that goes to 11?

I was under the impression it was a Jeep egg. When my Jeep found a suitable mate, the suitable Jeep would inject its blinker fluid (little known fact about blinker fluid, it also serves as muffler bearing coolant) into the egg and a new jeep would be born. The OP better seal that egg, or it might get unwanted blinker fluid in there. Thats how Jeeps contract death wobble, too.

These guys are wrong. It's the Flux Capacitator in 1984-1996 models. In 1997 it was replaced by a Phase Transamplifier, which functions much more efficiently. The purpose of both is to produce 80s New Waves. Back in 1984 they attracted yuppies and Flocks of Seagulls. Now it's 2010, but the New Waves are supposed to impress those retro 80s chicks who should be flocking like seagulls to our XJs... But I don't think mine is working well though. Should I replace it with the NAPA Heavy Duty Phase Transamplifier that goes to 11?

I was under the impression it was a Jeep egg. When my Jeep found a suitable mate, the suitable Jeep would inject its blinker fluid (little known fact about blinker fluid, it also serves as muffler bearing coolant) into the egg and a new jeep would be born. The OP better seal that egg, or it might get unwanted blinker fluid in there. Thats how Jeeps contract death wobble, too.

Red Skelton and Bozo the Clown haven't had a paying job in years, and all we get is "Last Comic Standing" dropouts! :D :D :D

I've been wanting to relocate my Jeep egg for a while now. The compartment is tight with the cruise control module and options are limited. Is it bad to let it just drag behind the Jeep by its vacuum line?

Hahaha. Rofl. Thanks for the seriuos replys. The comedians weren't bad but can use improvement. I got a used bumper with the canister in it. Scored. Well thanks again for the education. "flock of seagulls" WTF ???

dammittt .... thats two cups of coffee I have now sprayed on the computer screen this morning ....

:D:D

Red Skelton

hmmmm .... showing your age there a bit joe_peters ....
papysmile.gif

:)

dammittt .... thats two cups of coffee I have now sprayed on the computer screen this morning ....

:D:D

hmmmm .... showing your age there a bit joe_peters ....
papysmile.gif

:)

Remember this: old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm! :cheers:

These guys are wrong. It's the Flux Capacitator in 1984-1996 models. In 1997 it was replaced by a Phase Transamplifier, which functions much more efficiently.

NO NO NO! IT'S AN OSCILLATION OVERTHRUSTER!

Back