• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hella help

phillyxj570

NAXJA Forum User
i have a set of hella 500 ff. i wired them in today and they dont work. i have the relay on the pass. side firewall. i have the power and ground wire on the batt. the lights are wired and i have the power wire that runs from the relay for the switch hooked up on my center console, with the switch ground wire on a bolt under my gas petal. i did not hook up the wire that you spice into the high beams and run to the switch. does that have to be connected for them to turn on at all. if so why, it only runs from the high beam wire directly to the switch it isnt part of the relay or anything

ya the green wire that plugs into high beams is so that the lights will have power when high beams are on....

bypass the relay...go from pos. battery term. to switch, switch to lights power, then ground each light...then lights are run simply off the switch

i have a set of hella 500 ff. i wired them in today and they dont work. i have the relay on the pass. side firewall. i have the power and ground wire on the batt. the lights are wired and i have the power wire that runs from the relay for the switch hooked up on my center console, with the switch ground wire on a bolt under my gas petal. i did not hook up the wire that you spice into the high beams and run to the switch. does that have to be connected for them to turn on at all. if so why, it only runs from the high beam wire directly to the switch it isnt part of the relay or anything

dude, if that wire doesnt see +12v, you get nothing. when you hit your high beams, the current flooding into your hibeam cirtcuit trips your relay, if you want it independant of the high beams, connect that to constant +12v, and switch the grounding of the relay.

how could you say isnt part of the relay? its completely part of the relay...

KEEP the relay, if you dont know how one works, you should learn, but definately be running them. in4aride doesnt even mention a fuse, if you're going relay-less, you best have a fuse...

i am not arguing i am new to electrical and am trying to learn. the relay has four wires coming off of it it has black that runs to the hella lights, blue ground, red power, and yellow is the wire you run from the relay to the switch. the green wire is an independent wire with a inline fuse in it. this is the first thing ive done with electrical so im a little lost on the subject. i dont want to have it connected to the high beams i just want it to be able to run them independently by the switch

dude, if that wire doesnt see +12v, you get nothing. when you hit your high beams, the current flooding into your hibeam cirtcuit trips your relay, if you want it independant of the high beams, connect that to constant +12v, and switch the grounding of the relay.

how could you say isnt part of the relay? its completely part of the relay...

KEEP the relay, if you dont know how one works, you should learn, but definately be running them. in4aride doesnt even mention a fuse, if you're going relay-less, you best have a fuse...

...also a decent gauge wire going to the switch.

As XCM said, keep the relay. Go to howstuffworks.com to see how a relay works. It sounds like you already have the ground for the relay switched, so now you just need +12v on the wire the instructions tell you to put on the high beams. Find something that is powered when the key is on and splice it into that, that way you cannot leave your lights running on accident.

Back