• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would you replace this tank?

waxer

JEEP APPRENTICE
Staff member
NAXJA Member
I'm currently working on a roll cage install and while removing all the carpet I noticed a bunch of rust in the cargo area which most likely happened from coolers leaking.

I have cut out some of the rusted area so far, but still have more to go. While removing the tank I noticed that the top of it has some surfacr rust. I used a wire wheel and took a pic of the rust. Question is... would you still run this tank, or would you replace it?

If replace, where's the most economic place to purchase an OEM tank for my 92?

Thanks

DSC09031.JPG

DSC09027.JPG

DSC09033.JPG

DSC09034.JPG

DSC09036.JPG

DSC09037.JPG

Being a cheap-@ss I would probably POR it and run it if the rust seems to be surface only. If it looks like it has gone deep, I would replace.

Heh, yeah I can definitely relate. I have checked all over and there are no soft spots or any areas that seem to be any worse than surface rust. I think I'm just going to clean it up and run it.

If all the rust is on the top, I'd go for it, and in fact I've even gotten a couple of extra years out of a tank that had a hole in the top (fiberglass patch and epoxy worked fine). But before you do this, take a very careful look around the seam. If the seam rusts, you cannot fix it. If you see even a little dampness at the seam, all further effort to save it is a waste of time.

X2 on what Matthew Currie said.

As a side note, I hope you realize you need to replace those stiffening bars that run from the front to the back of the tank mounting location... the tank will not be safely mounted without those. I was extremely careful to not cut those (any more than I intended to) when removing the floorboards in the back of mine.

Use one of the 3M rust and paint stripper wheels to get the surface fully clean--it will remove the blistering

51bFhFA5HKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Then coat it with 3M underbody spray

If you choose to replace, I can vouch for the Spectra Premium 20 gallon tank, which holds 22+ and fits perfect

Yep. Trussed 44, spooled with 4.88's, disc brakes and OEM shafts. Haven't upgraded the shafts as of yet.

POR-15 the exterior and coat the interior with gas tank sealer.

Back