• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How stock is this exhaust?

Slonopotam

NAXJA Member #1358
Hi,

I've got a strange assortment of tubes for exhaust, wondering which part of it is stock.

All dimensions under the hood are approximate - could not get close enough.

The header looks stock, 1.5" tubes go to cylinders, joined by 2" tubes, which go into collector. Could not get the diameter of the collector.
Right after the flange the 2" tube is chewed, somewhere at the bottom, where it goes left to right it is welded to 2.5" tube, which goes into catalytic converter. Out of the converter goes 2.5" tube, welded into 2.25", which goes into muffler. After the muffler the tube it is 2.0", thinner in bends.

So what parts of it are stock and what are the result of somebody's creativity?

1996/L6/manual/got it from Oregon.

Thank you,
Andrey

The 1-1/2" primaries (exhaust port-to-collector) sounds about right. The main tube usually runs about 2-1/4" - a 2" collector at the header sounds a little small (the collector is usually the same size as the main plumbing - 2-1/4", in this case - or the very next size larger and tapered - running, for us, 2-1/2" down to 2-1/4".)

But someone definitely did a hack job on your exhaust setup, and now you've got to sort it all out? Could be a bit of a headache...

Just about everything from the collector back should be 2-1/4", as I recall. And, the catalytic converter usually has a four-bolt flange at the front end, allowing the exhaust to be "broken" in the middle for servicing (I always get confused when people want to eliminate that flange for a welded join. I usually insist is gets kept. If it's not there, I'll have one added - changing a clutch is a huge pain when you have to drop the entire exhaust to do it!)

If your bends are smaller than the straight sections, then your tubing was not "mandrel bent" (allowing for consistent ID - or at least inside cross-sectional area,) and bent using a simple tubing bender instead.

Got pix? Or, if you like, you can come around sometime and I'll have a look and we can go over it all.

1.25" primaries; 2" into the collector; 2.25 from the collector to just past the bend that turns right. Between the first and second bent, it changes to 2.5" which continues into the cat. From the back of the cat all the way to the tip it is 2.25 or at least it was/should be. I change mine from the cat back to 2.5".

2.25 from the collector to just past the bend that turns right. Between the first and second bent, it changes to 2.5" which continues into the cat.
Thank you, that was the most interesting part.
I change mine from the cat back to 2.5".
Did you use some existing product, or was that 2.5 cat-back custom-made?

Back