• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust manifolds and cracks....Solution? Thermosteel!

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, recently found out about a product called Thermosteel. My friend used it on his Grandfather's XJ which had a hole big enough to pack this stuff into on his exhaust manifold.

After letting this stuff cure, it is rated to 2400 degrees farenheit, and actually increases strength the hotter the item it is applied to gets.

Its uses are for boilers, kilns, exhaust manifolds, grills, etc. I recently patched my exhaust manifold with this (hairline crack, small compared to his Grandfather's manifold crack) and it is holding!

He said he did it a few years ago and it is still holding as far as they know.

Definately worth a try if you don't want to mess replacing or welding your manifold. Best of all, you don't need to remove the manifold to do this!

http://www.kalimex.co.uk/section.htm...01.06.&pgid=21

I bought this product at Advance Auto. Auto Zone is said to have it too. There were rumors that Ace Hardware and Walmart carried it, but neither did in my area....

Good luck!

Took your advice and tried it last night. I will let you know how mine holds up but it appeares to have sealed fine and i had a BIG crack. LOL

Thats some amazing stuff, room temp cure and good to 1300C.

"ThermoSteel is as good as a hot weld, without any of the hassle."

uh..

This stuff works well to pass an e-test or something where you need to plug the hole/crack temporarily for some reason.

In a couple weeks it will leak again.

so which is it? It either works and lasts or it doesnt

Says 1316'C

My friend used it on a hole big enough to pack this stuff into on his Dad's 94 XJ about 2 years ago and it is still holding.......so it's more than just temporary.

I think it's pretty cheap...give it a shot if you have a cracked manifold and if it holds you just saved yourself a lot of time and $$.

Usually stuff like this fails because it expands and contracts at a different rate than the steel or the bond between the steel and filler isn't strong enough for the application.

My only concern with their description is that it's "as good as a hot weld." The problem being that even properly welded stock manifolds don't seem to last.

I, too have not seen a recall for the exhaust. There is a class action lawsuit out about that.

1985xjlaredo said:
The link says this in the Tech Data:Technical properties: Quiksteel is resistant to temperatures between -70ºC and +260ºC and, once cured, is impervious to most acids and solvents (including petrol and diesel).

The web site is buggered, the technical properties link takes you to the data for a different product.

Mine seams to be holding fine but I dont plan on it being perm.

Timber said:
My only concern with their description is that it's "as good as a hot weld." The problem being that even properly welded stock manifolds don't seem to last.
I've got about about 12k miles on a weld that's still holding up well.

It had a hairline crack about halfway around the collector, and in between the tubes. I had it TIG welded for about ten bucks, but the TIG couldn't get in between the tubes. So I hit it with my oxy-acetylene torch, and brazed some flux and brass down into the middle. I also took the torch flame around the new weld area until it was red-hot.

That might be why it hasn't failed yet. The re-heat had the effect of "stress-relieving" the joint. Hopefully it will last.

TMXONR said:
old thread, I know. But I just found it.

Would this stuff work if my header is cracked all the way around the joint?

I don't know, try it! I might apply more in the spring......but......

Right now I notice my exhaust manifold leaking when the vehicle is cold. When it warms up you don't notice it. So I guess the metal and/or the patching swells and fills small cracks and makes any noticable noise disappear?

I'm happy overall :) Easy and cheap.:looney:

Here is a pic of my crack.......

DSC03742.jpg

Wowwowwiwa! Nice crack. You could try it!

I know someone that patched their grandfather's XJ's manifold.....said it was large enough to pack in the thermosteel and it's alright up until this day.....

But this is a different type of crack that you have. The pipe can flex/shift I suppose.....where as the hole they had wasn't all around the pipe, so it really couldn't move as much.

Try it.....just mix it well and wait until spring (unless you have a garage that stays at a spring day temperature!) It's under 7.00 so it's worth a try. Just remove your airbox for better access or just tackle it and/or from below.....good luck!

Back