• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuild Kit for Steering Box

C85D4x4

NAXJA Member #1311
I got a rebuild kit for a 96 xj steering box.......but I come to find that the Box I have is out of a 92 xj. :twak:

The Rebuild Kits for the 92 and 96 steering boxes have Different PART Numbers.........

So my question is......What the hell is the Difference between the 92 and 96 steering boxes???????????

:helpme:

I know from swapping some around that there's a definite increase in steering effort between 89 and 95, though I don't know exactly when things changed. If the rebuild kit includes valves or valve parts, this might account for it.

The kit seem to just include seals and gaskets C-clips. What kind of valve parts would you be referring too?
I've never bought one of those kits, so I don't know what would be in it. If it's just seals and gaskets and the like, I don't know why it would differ, but perhaps there's some different shaft dimension or something. There certainly is no external difference, and no difference in the basic design. About the only way you can find out is either to try it and find out what differs, or to get both kits and compare them.

Thanks Matt

I called NAPA and they told me that it seems that the kits have different amount in some bigger and smaller seals.

There has to be someone here that knows the XJ's steering box Internal Differences between the different years.

Maybe, but this is the first I have heard anyone rebuilding one! There is a difference in steering effort between my 90, 91 and 98 with the lightest being the 91. I was wondering if it was the pump or the box. MC says the box.

My daughter will not drive the 91 due to the steering being so light!

SXJ- In your case it could be the pumps.......the only way for you to know if there is an actual difference is if you try all the steering boxes on the same pump.

Not of much use, can't you exchange the kit?

Better yet, install a 99 Durango box.

Maybe, but this is the first I have heard anyone rebuilding one! There is a difference in steering effort between my 90, 91 and 98 with the lightest being the 91. I was wondering if it was the pump or the box. MC says the box.

My daughter will not drive the 91 due to the steering being so light!
I can't guarantee it's the box, since I exchanged both pump and box on my 95 with those from an 89. I probably heard that somewhere, and could be wrong. It's long enough ago that I don't remember whether I did both at once.

Well after some long research apparently the 96 is the bastard year........

There is a change inside of the steering boxes between 1995-1997
So some time in 1996 it changed.

The kit I have looks to be for the 1996 and up.

I guess I'm just going to have to buy the other kit.

Back