• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP: 4:11's from 4cyl XJ to my HP30

nonnie

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a used carrier and 4:11 ring and pinion used. They were taken out of a 4cyl Cherokee. I want to install them into my front XJ 30. The mechanic doing the work tells me that the carrier looks to be the wrong size. A carrier from a higher ratio carrier would be a different size wouldn't it? Thanks for guidence

The carriers should be the same size. However, depending on the gear ratio, the mounting flange on the carrier for the ring gear may be offset. Should be easy to tell and I'll bet there is someone on this Forum who knows for sure at which gear ratio they split.

the carrier break is between 3.55 and 3.73. you will need the carrier that was with the 4.10s. if thats what you are reffering to.

and it would be helpful if you posted the years. you did grab the right gears (high or low pinion) for your existing axel right?

I have the carrier and the ring and pinion from the used XJ. The donar was a late 80's 4cyl XJ. The gears are 4:11's-stamped on the side. The question is about the carriers. The carriers should be different sizes from mine to the donar vehicle right? (I'm going from 3:07's to 4:1's)

Yes, they will be different sizes (actually, the ring gear mounting flange is just offset differently as cruiser54 said, but that's in the details) like someone already said - the carrier break is from 3.55 to 3.73, you're going from 3.07 to 4.10 which crosses the break.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you take the whole axle and just bolt it in? Probably more expensive, but once you include gear setup costs, it's probably cheaper.

Ahh, forgot you are even further into the rust belt than I am... probably a wise choice.

You can pick up a brand new carrier for the appropriate ratio for around 60 dollars. National Drivetrain on here (justdifferentials.com) sells them, among others.

Ahh, forgot you are even further into the rust belt than I am... probably a wise choice.

You can pick up a brand new carrier for the appropriate ratio for around 60 dollars. National Drivetrain on here (justdifferentials.com) sells them, among others.

R&P and carrier were available cheap/used/local (most of the things I love)

Back