• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6.5" Rough Country w/ 35" 11.50/10.50

HttpWayne

NAXJA Forum User
I want to get 35" tires and I still have the D30 front and D35 rear. I'm going to look around the junkyards for some 44's, but in the mean time what is the max limit I can do offroading wise with it?

Any Recommendations?

I've read that D44's require extensive modification. What tools are required?

This is the XJ I have:
-1998 XJ Limited, AW4 Transmission
-No gear alterations whatsoever (3.55's)

I was thinking about upgrading to 4.10's; any opinions on that? Should I go more?

4.10's arent enough, i run 4.56 with 33's, and i could use more gearing!

if you cant find a d44, find something else, that 35 wont last long.

I want to get 35" tires and I still have the D30 front and D35 rear. I'm going to look around the junkyards for some 44's, but in the mean time what is the max limit I can do offroading wise with it?

Any Recommendations?

I've read that D44's require extensive modification. What tools are required?

This is the XJ I have:
-1998 XJ Limited, AW4 Transmission
-No gear alterations whatsoever (3.55's)

I was thinking about upgrading to 4.10's; any opinions on that? Should I go more?

When you say 44's do you mean full width front and rear or are you just thinking the rear?

First the D30 although a weak axle(my opinion, others differ) it has held up to alot of abuse. I am no where near as rough as some but then again I daily drive mine. You can, and many are, run 35's on a D30 you just have to understand its limit/breaking point.

If just the rear the early model 87 or so had a D44 stock as an option. They are a direct bolt in for the older XJ's but not 100% sure on the newer XJ's. I think the joints where the same at the yoke, but I may be mistaken.

If you are talking full width D44 front and rear then yes there is alot to do depending on what you get them from.

Gear choice will be a fight among us all. We all have our preferences. Myself I am running 33's with 4.56's. I find it a bit much on the street as far as top end(there lack off), but in the rocks its great. I plan on jumping to 35's down the line so my gears where chosen to reflect my end goal. But most will agree that 4.10 is the extreme minimum you would want on a rig running 35's that you want to wheel. And you may have problems with acceleration and torque issues. My choice would be to get a set of 4.56 atleast, or steeper if you want more grunt in the rocks. Keep in mind though the steeper the gear the more torque is sent to the drive train which in turn can break things easier.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention I also have a 4.6 stroker in there.

After looking around I've decided I'm going to go with 33x11.50 BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM's.

I think I'm going to wait until I can find some D44's down the road and put the 4.56 gears in them, for the front and the rear. After that and fabricating it to fit I'll should be about ready for some new tires.

What are the most commonly found D44's in the junkyards?
Which are the most economincal to install?

Get an XJ 44 for the rear or a Ford 8.8. The 8.8 has swap kits available to make it easier. The XJ44 should be direct bolt in. The 30 should survive if you're careful.

You'd be taking a significant risk running a D30 on 35's with a stroker. I suggest either a D60 for the front or a 44 built well for abuse. In the rear an 8.8 would be good or if you want to go full width then a Corp. 14 bolt would be good. I would suggest at least 4:88 gearing.

I forgot to mention I also have a 4.6 stroker in there.

After looking around I've decided I'm going to go with 33x11.50 BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM's.

I think I'm going to wait until I can find some D44's down the road and put the 4.56 gears in them, for the front and the rear. After that and fabricating it to fit I'll should be about ready for some new tires.

What are the most commonly found D44's in the junkyards?
Which are the most economincal to install?
link to these 33x11.50s?

im guessing they are not for a 15" rim?

X2 on the 8.8. They can be had factory with limited slips, 4.10 gears and disc brakes. Ruff stuff makes a weld on conversion kit. Over all its a tough axle and can't be beat for the money.

Back