• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling System woes

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, searched another over heating thread...
Specs: 1996 XJ

Rad replaced 2004
Tstat Replaced November 7th, 2006
Water Pump replaced October 15th, 2006
Lower Rad Hose replaced October 15th, 2006
New coolant Oct 15th as well.
Added "Water Wetter" on November 7th, 2006
New coolant when we did the pump.

Replaced these items when I was getting it on the road, water pump was weeping figured that was part of my temp spikes, didn't go away so I replaced the tstat with a factory unit (195) and added the water wetter.

Driving around the City and the Highway it's around 200 degrees or a bit less. If I idle it over heats... the e-fan will come on around 225... if I drive slow/go off-road it will also heat up and the fan will kick on.

My Cherokee does not have a fan shroud, I have intentions on purchasing one asap to see if this problem becomes cured. Did the clutch fan spin test when it was hot and cold, lots of resistance. What am I missing? I have done all the recommended steps from users on here (to my knowledge).

I'd get the fan shroud put in. I think it may have a big bearing on your problem.

I've put a 3 core radiator in mine and cut in hood "vents", bigger electric fan etc etc. Also put in over-ride switch to run electric to run at all times if I want it. Won't know for sure until the next trail run but it is getting better.

Back