• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gotta weld some stuff, but have qustions.

iant333

NAXJA Forum User
Well my laundry list for things I have to weld is piling up. Firstly I want to get my old rocksliders welded in place to replace my rockers. Basically im just wondering if I can get a good enough weld to hold with my welder, im pretty much a beginner with welding besides screwing around a little bit here and there with some scrap metal.

I only have access to a Harbor Freight 90 amp flux core, and a Miller 220 stick welder, the flux core doesn't seem like its gonna have enough balls to make a decent weld, I think the rockslider is 1/8th" thick. I was thinking what I might be able to do is heat the rockslider with a Map torch and just work my way along in little sections, seems like it should make it penetrate ok.

You guys think that will work ok for me, i'm not exactly a pro welder, i'm just getting to the point with the Mig where I can hold an ok bead and not have it come out all broken and clumpy looking.

You should be able to do an acceptable weld on 1/8" with a flux core. Just use a slow wire speed and go a little at a time to avoid burning through the sheetmetal. If you are welding 1/8" to 1/8" you should be able to do it with stick but it takes more experience to make a good weld with stick.

Practice first, i have a 90 amp flux core as well, and with practice and patients you can do quite a bit to the body, but I wouldn't trust it on suspension components. On a practice piece, i was able to weld 2 1/4" pieces of steel together but i don't have the balls to weld anything that big on the Jeep.

On the sliders, booger welds aren't a big deal nobody will see them. Great place to practice and learn.

the flux core wire will penetrate deeper than if useing gas (mig). and welding thicker material is possible if you know what you are doing and set up properly the material needed to be fused. a little added heat can also help. the stick is allways better, but again, if you know what you are doing. with differant rods and differant techniques and lots of practice, you can weld most anything. lets say you want to fuse 1/2" mild plate to your XJs sheet. youd have to angel cut the plate, maybe use some heat, and burn the plate first then allow the weld to melt into the sheet metal. can be done. now just the oposite, you can weld the same with that little wire feeder, but youll have to make a few passes. as mentioned, practice first. i think you will be ok with either machine, just dont rush it. prepare the surfaces real well. the less contamination the better the weld. if welding outside, try and keep the area blocked of any breeze, you'll fight it because the gasses from the flux wont be working properly. good luck.

Back