• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-Joint Problem After Hack & Tap Install - Help!

01xjmeister

NAXJA Forum User
:banghead:Just finished a hack and tap on my XJ. All went well. Iron Rock sent a reconditioned 1310 XJ front driveshaft which I installed. Problem is that the ujoint slides side to side in the yoke after tightening the ujoint straps. The axle I have is an 8.25 Chrysler. Is the ujoint from the front friveshaft too small or do I need to replace yoke? Can someone please point me in the right direction as this is my daily driver. Help!

Re: ujoint problem after hack and tap install..Help!

You will probably get more answers in the Mod Tech forum, I will ask a Mod to move this for you.

Re: ujoint problem after hack and tap install..Help!

The XJ front and rear drive shafts and axle pinion yokes use 1310 u-joints and the IRO yoke is supposed to be used with 1310 u-joints. When I installed an IRO yoke on my friends XJ, we bolted up a used XJ front drive shaft, no problem.

Have any pictures of the problem u-joint ?

I had the exact same situation, I even ended up breaking a bolt off (and bolt extractor) and ruining the yoke on my 8.25. I ended up having to go to my local driveline shop who set me up with a new flange assembly. The shaft IRO sent was also way out of balance (I understand it's used), so that with the new flange and balance, I lost some of the savings over the higher end SYE kits. Otherwise, it seems pretty solid now that its all worked out.

I would just call IRO and tell them about the problem. They will send you another shaft and a return UPS slip. In the mean time pull you front shaft and use that to get you around. The amount of DS they see and go through there are bound to be a few that just aren't right. Ask me how i know :laugh:

Back