• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trailer hitch nutcerts

The insert plates are usually about $17 a piece at the dealer, that comes to $34 for a set plus shipping. If you have a 96 or 97 and newer you should already have the passenger side one in there, the tailpipe hanger mounts to it.

I just made my own from some 1" x 3/16" flat. Slide it in, mark hole locations, drill holes, weld nuts to back side. Simple and cheap.

Andy

If you buy a new hitch, it comes with new bolts which have a wire so you can pull through from the frame rail and then use a nut below.

Maybe you can fabricate this thread wire for your bolt.

Daimler Chrysler.

Mercedes (Daimler) owns chrysler.

AlohaBra said:
If you buy a new hitch, it comes with new bolts which have a wire so you can pull through from the frame rail and then use a nut below.

Maybe you can fabricate this thread wire for your bolt.

They are pretty weak that way, the plate with the nuts welded on spreads the load out the entire length, the drop thru bolts do not.

andyr354 said:
I just made my own from some 1" x 3/16" flat. Slide it in, mark hole locations, drill holes, weld nuts to back side. Simple and cheap.

Andy
I made a set, took about 20 min. JIM.

My 96 must be in the transition. Not nut on the passenger side even though the tailpipe hanger in bolted on ( to what, I don't know).

Should I only expect to put in three bolts per side? No way to get in that forward bolt ahead of the frame hump?

RichP said:
They are pretty weak that way, the plate with the nuts welded on spreads the load out the entire length, the drop thru bolts do not.

Not only that, but if you ever have to take them out, they can be a [sorry, can't use the expressions in my head on a family oriented forum, but think of nasty and despicable acts perpetrated on all the wrong victims, and you'll be close] to get apart again, and if you have to torch/grind/hack them apart, you'll end up having to fish the pieces out of the frame too, assuming you've managed to protect the fuel tank or remove it so you don't blow yourself to kingdom come.

I've removed bodged-in U-haul hitches from the last two Jeeps I got. Nut strips are really a lot better, and if you contemplate ever having to remove the hitch (for example to install a skid plate, etc.) 35 bucks will be seem cheap at the price.

If you're fabricating your own, the hindmost hole will be a problem, but that one at least should be easy enough to put a bolt through. You can cut a big square washer for it to spread the stress.

docchaynes said:
My 96 must be in the transition. Not nut on the passenger side even though the tailpipe hanger in bolted on ( to what, I don't know).

Should I only expect to put in three bolts per side? No way to get in that forward bolt ahead of the frame hump?

A 96 won't have the pass. side strip. The exhaust hanger has different weld nuts in the frame. JIM.

am I the only one who thinks its worth $60 to not have to deal with making some part or fishing some nuts thru the frame?

XJ_ranger said:
am I the only one who thinks its worth $60 to not have to deal with making some part or fishing some nuts thru the frame?
I don't know about you, but I don't make $180 an hour.:spin1: :doh: Like I said took less than 20 min. to make a set. JIM.

XJ_ranger said:

For me it woudl be $60 and 2.5 hours of driving for the round trip to the nearest dealer. So it was a no brainer taking 30 mins to make my own.

XJ_ranger said:

i had to fish the bolts through the frame on my old TJ , and my old honda civic that i put a hitch on, it isnt too difficult.

as for the nutserts. anyone over hear of have both sides on it from the factory ? i bought my XJ used (01 sport), but it has no evidence of the a hitch or hitch wiring. both strips are rivited down. hitch went on fine except for fighting with old rusty nutserts.

:piratefla

XJ_ranger said:

If I had given it more thought and not been in a hurry to get the skid on I would have made a template out of cardboard of the plates and put them away for making future ones but in 98 who woulda known the XJ would be discontinued. Would have used some 1/2 thick steel though as I don't weld so welding nuts on is past my capacity with no welder around. As it is I have a passenger side one that came with the OEM gas tank skid as part of the package but being a 98 it already had the passenger side one in. Even though I lathered up the bolts with anti-seize they still rusted and were a fight to get out after only two years. Ended up chasing the threads when I got rid of the rear hook and put the tomken rear bumper on. I dread having to replace my fuel pump, already know it's going to be a battle that I sure as heck won't want to tackle out in the driveway in the winter.

the rust is another reason to make your own. I used Grade 8 cad plated hardware that will resist corosion a heck of alot better than the non treated factory nuts.

Back