• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans problems in a 95 xj limited

bobby hill

NAXJA Forum User
i bought a 95 xj limited 4.0L auto trans. the problem is it will only shift out of 1st 50% of the time. has anyone had this happen before? i just wanna know if there are any simple fixes or common problems that could be causing this before i do a trans swap.

Do the quick and cheap things first:

1. Fluid level and condition.

2. Adjust the throttle pressure cable: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015963

3. Test the TPS, determine the reference voltage and then check the output voltage. Output voltage should be 83 percent of reference voltage.

If the problem has not been found/fixed, then:

4. Unplug the TCU, and drive the vehicle shifting manually. You will have 1st in 1-2; 3rd in 3; 4th in D; reverse, neutral, and park. If you get that result then your trans is Ok mechanical/hydraulic and the problem is electrical in nature.

Do the quick and cheap things first:

1. Fluid level and condition.

2. Adjust the throttle pressure cable: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015963

3. Test the TPS, determine the reference voltage and then check the output voltage. Output voltage should be 83 percent of reference voltage.

If the problem has not been found/fixed, then:

4. Unplug the TCU, and drive the vehicle shifting manually. You will have 1st in 1-2; 3rd in 3; 4th in D; reverse, neutral, and park. If you get that result then your trans is Ok mechanical/hydraulic and the problem is electrical in nature.

thats what i needed to know thanks

all right i had to go outta state for work for a while but now im back. it seems to shift fine after i drive it around the block and disconnect the battery and let all the sensors and shit reset. but if i just start it up and drive i seem to have the same problem. im gonna try disconnecting the battery for a couple mins then driving it and see if it shifts after it sits for a while. if it helps narrow it down

Back