• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch line broke

94xjstud

NAXJA Forum User
I snapped my metal winch line and on looking on a cost effective fix. I still have the hook assembly and the part that broke. I heard that you could make another loop and pinch another metal latch thing around it, but I can't find any info on it. Help

I'm going to try to not be offensive...... but if you're asking that question, PAY SOMEBODY ELSE TO FIX THAT LINE, or get someone local to show you . If you don't know how to secure that end, somebody may pay a very stiff price.

Yes, it's possible to fix it. You'll need the right cable clamps for your winch line (I used 3, spaced properly on the stock winch cable for my Warn xd9000.) You could also find a rigging service locally, and have them swage a new end with your hook assembly.

I know that I can do it, I just don't know where to find the right cable clamps.

And no offense taken, I understand that you are just protecting me from not doing something that could hurt myself or the people around.

I found cable clamps at the local hardware store.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#loop-sleeves/=70762i

That is about the only thing I would trust. I know you can buy the bolt down kind at home depot but the pressure required to install these properly is enough for me to trust the loop you're wanting to make.

I am in no way telling you to use this product and I would actually buy a new cable if it were me.

The major difference between cable clamps and crimped ferrules is how many are used, and at what spacing.

Where I used to work we used clamps. It was a on Mack truck with a pto winch for a lowboy trailer. 1" wire rope with 6 clamps, it would pull the weight of the trailer plus the 42,000lb paver I ran. It was 3 feet up and then along the frame rails. Clamps work but they must be used right!

your looking for good quality Crosby wire rop clips...or CM i wouldnt trust anything else. get 3 for your size cable. space them 4-5 inches apart and all facing the same direction. that will hold more than that winch will pull. torque specs are 35 ft lbs on the nuts. thats clean and dry. make sure you get a thimble for the cable or youve defeated the clips altogether and it will slip. this kind of termination brings the wire rope down to 80% of its original breaking strength. which should be quite a bit more than that winch can pull. inspect your cable often. kinks and over twisting (loops) will kill a cable quick along with dirt in the windings.

Last edited:
just get a new winch rope

Or take it to a rigging shop that SPECIALIZES IN wire rope. They can inspect and repair your stuff for about the same price you're spending on all the wrong stuff. Worst case scenario, they can build you a new one for really cheap.

i worked for a crane and rigging company for a long time (Somatex inc.) and thats exactly how they would fix something that small. just clip it together for 25 bucks and winch to your hearts desire. they only call for 2 clips on that small line but i would go 3 just for good measure. the wedge socket on the link is another option but a bulky one. good cable aint cheap and if it is then you shoulnt be putting it on your rig. columbus mckinnon is CM by the way....good quality stuff

Last edited:
i worked for a crane and rigging company for a long time (Somatex inc.) and thats exactly how they would fix something that small. just clip it together for 25 bucks and winch to your hearts desire. they only call for 2 clips on that small line but i would go 3 just for good measure. the wedge socket on the link is another option but a bulky one. good cable aint cheap and if it is then you shoulnt be putting it on your rig. columbus mckinnon is CM by the way....good quality stuff

You forgot to mention "Never Saddle a Dead Horse” the saddle of the clamp always goes on the live side of the eye. I did Overhead Cranes for 20 years, nice to see another Crane Dude in the club.

ha sorry im a lil hazy and young (forget) i was searching for a pic. yup i fabbed cranes for awhile and did service work when they would let me. booming business. :patriot:

Back