• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I want to rebuild a 4.0L

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
So I need a project to work on and I would like to rebuild my first engine. I am a apprentice mechanic but have no experience doing much with engines and seeing how my XJ has 350kms on it i figure it would be a great learning experience

I just have a few questions I would like answered to help me figure out what route I want to go

I know I will have to get some things machined at a shop

I would like to rebuild a 94 Highout put 4.0L I would like to build something that could possibly be turbo charged so Im looking to do some upgrades then a OEM rebuild

Im also interested in going the 4.7L stroker option I just know nothing about it. do they sell kits for that?

seeing how I am a newbie to this would it be a good idea for me to get a rebuild kit?

if you were going to rebuilda 4.0L how would u do it? what would u go with?

thanks

look into the jeep strokers forum and our own street and performance forum.

Strokers are really easy to make, you really have to be mildly retarded to NOT be able to rebuild this motor. I enjoyed rebuilding mine.

I sourced all my own parts for my stroker, it comes out much cheaper that way.

that is definetly out of my price range..i dont have a problem finding parts I just need to figure out exactly what i want..im just starting to read the huge amount of information on this site but any helpful links or info or suggestions would be great

and they are stupid expensive too.

A stroker can be built for the same price as a normal rebuild. All you are doing is replacing your crank and rods with the crank and rods from a 4.2L. From there it can stay simple, or it can get as expensive and complicated as you want it to.

Go for it! Just don't underestimate the amount of time and space it will take. Organization and planning are key. Do your homework first.

As was said, search, this has been covered many times by many people, even right down to exact parts lists for what they used, how it worked, and what they might do differently next time in some cases. I say do it! Mine will get done eventually.

find a 4.2 for parts also...hopefully one that isnt blown up then you have all the basic parts for a stroker....good crank, rods, cam, and head. the block doesnt matter. i built one for 1100 and its still kickin a$$.

Back