• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bilstein valving

4LVLFWD

NAXJA Forum User
So those of yall with 5100 series bilsteins what valving are yall runnin in the rear? I wanted to go with 255/70's but they are on backorder. So will running a 170/60 be ok? mostly do trails in the desert, nothing too crazy.

So those of yall with 5100 series bilsteins what valving are yall runnin in the rear? I wanted to go with 255/70's but they are on backorder. So will running a 170/60 be ok? mostly do trails in the desert, nothing too crazy.

170/60 will be too light for a single shock, even when not heavily loaded.
Try another vendor or Google the part number.

As much as you're paying for shocks, get the right ones first time out. (even if you have to wait for them)

alright, are there any fitment issues with running a 5150 in the rear?

No, as long as they fit right.
5150s have a longer compressed length than a similar 5100 with the same amount of travel. This isn't a problem as long as you adjust the bump stops to prevent bottoming but if you do add to the bumps, it reduces the up-travel.
As I mention before, the optional bar pins can help retain some the up-travel that is lost when using bar pin eliminators.
The Bilstein 5150s, with 8.3" travel (BF5-A195-H1) are 14.17 compressed and 22.5" extended. Add an inch or so if bar pin eliminators are used.
The stock rear XJ 5100s are 13.5" compressed and 22" extended, with about 8.5" of travel.
How much lift do you have and are the shock mounts in the stock position?

freakin jeep is still sittin stock. got the re 5.5 kit in the garage waitin for shocks. i know that lift is goin to net more like 6.5 or so. re monotubes, backordered. bilstein 5125's, backorder. so i might just go with some 5150's all the way around. i just wanted to make sure there isnt any fitment issues in the rear. i'm goin to get the full traction bpe's in the rear and jks bpe's up front. if i got 5150's i was looking at BF5-A187-H1, 29.7"/17.78", in a 255/70 valving for the fronts and BF5-A196-H1, 25.91"/15.89", in a 255/70 valvin for the rears. the rear lower mount is still stock location.

freakin jeep is still sittin stock. got the re 5.5 kit in the garage waitin for shocks. i know that lift is goin to net more like 6.5 or so. re monotubes, backordered. bilstein 5125's, backorder. so i might just go with some 5150's all the way around. i just wanted to make sure there isnt any fitment issues in the rear. i'm goin to get the full traction bpe's in the rear and jks bpe's up front. if i got 5150's i was looking at BF5-A187-H1, 29.7"/17.78", in a 255/70 valving for the fronts and BF5-A196-H1, 25.91"/15.89", in a 255/70 valvin for the rears. the rear lower mount is still stock location.

Without actually installing the lift, then flexing it and measuring, how do you know what size shocks you need?
Unless the vendor of the lift provides that information, you will be miles ahead by waiting to order the shocks after the lift is installed.
There is nothing like ordering a few hundred dollar worth of parts to find out they are not the right size.
You only want to do this once so do it right the first time. YMMV

BTW, you might want to raise the rear axle end mount for increased ground clearance. This will require a shorter shock.
Bilsteins 7100s come in a short body style that allows more travel than the 5150 shocks.

its a dd, cant really install the lift and then wait for a week for shocks. the monotubes that come with the lift are 26.7"/16.2", 10.5" of travel for the rears and 30.2"/18.4", 11.8" of travel for the fronts so thats what im kinda basing my decisions on.

Back