• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my dream welder

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/multiprocess/pipeworx/

i had a chance to try this welder last week at school (pipe trades apprenticeship). all i can say is WOW!!

the first thing i noticed is that the machine was set up for two processes- mild steel and stainless. it had two gas cylinders, two spools and two guns. once the instructor fired the machine up the big differences compared to standard mig were clear. there was no splatter! thats right, no! it sounded a lot more like a tig machine than a mig. only when he hit the edge of the bevel on the pipe (the pipe itself wasnt very clean but the bevel was) did it splatter from the contaminants, and even then it wasnt very bad. on extra-heavy wall 6" cs pipe he was able to make 3 passes in one. what would have taken a couple hours to weld out with stick, took him only 20 minutes with this. and damn, it gave a gorgeous bead even on out of position welds and even welding downhill. way better than standard mig. after using that machine, IM IN LOVE!!

the only problem is the $$,$$$. i guess i gotta start saving up!

we do alot of big pipe with mig. its all about setup. i can get my miller suitcase extreme to run a bead with no spatter off of a generator....no biggy. sounds like bacon cookin just right. mmmm bacon :greensmok

we do alot of big pipe with mig. its all about setup. i can get my miller suitcase extreme to run a bead with no spatter off of a generator....no biggy. sounds like bacon cookin just right. mmmm bacon :greensmok

no crackle- sounds like a tig

I got to try one like that one day. We had a few guys come into our shop because they were from a big military fab shop and they had one of those in the back of there truck. Then pulled it off the truck hooked it up and let us run a few test beads with it and it was freaking amazing. Better then Tig I think. And as he pointed out, the best part was no splatter.

Back