• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starter/altenator wiring

GoliathJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
haven't posted in a long while due to selling the xj but just picked up another '97 four door 4.0, auto. already added a 5" lift and 33s and rebuilt the front cap where it had been hit. but a lot of the wires were off on the motor and I've got it all buttoned up except for the starter and alt. the black wire to the alt with the molded end with 3 connecters is hooked up but the upper post on the alt has nothing going to it. also the green and red wire is run down to the starter location.what I'm left with is a black wire with a yellow tracer that runs front the front of the fusebox to I don't know where. and where does the large black wire off the bottom of the alt run to? also there were no ground wires anywhere around the battery location so I was wondering where I need to run ground wires to. this site helped me a lot on my first jeep and I'm sure someone can give me a hand on this one too. any info would help a lot.

It must be an early 97 as that was the change over year when they went from the molded connection to the plug in connector. On the alt. the molded connector gets plugged in and bolted down on the alt and the other end should have a star shaped ring terminal that grounds to the engine block on the mounting stud for the ignition coil. The blk/yel wire from the fusebox should be around an 8ga wire if I'm not mistaken and that goes to the output post on the alt.

I would recommend 5-90's cable upgrade kit.

Back