• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice on HID's, Please

So I thought about building a harness using go-jeep's plans, but that got more expensive that people say, the wire alone was $30.00. So I decided to do some more research, and I know I will prolly get flamed, but here is what I'm thinking...

I want to buy a HID kit from DDMTunning.com (http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=102&parent=85) (some on here recommend this, and for the price, looks decent). I know I'll have to buy either projection lenses or H4 non-sealed lenses. I know the projections are more expensive, but what I can't figure out is which H4 lenses is recommended. I hear about Autopals, IPF and Hella's, but I'm a total noob when it comes to headlights.

So questions go like this:
1. what H4 lenses are best for HID's, especially in regards for the "dreaded" cutoff problem some have.
2. where can someone buy projection lenses?
3. I know if I upgrade to xenon's or other halogens, its recommended that I upgrade the harness, but do I need to upgrade the harness for HID's, since they draw much less power?

I've been reading all these posts and information, and I hear about special conversions and stuff like that, and I get lost. I did search, and have read for the past 3 nights, but can't find a clear recommendation, just bits and pieces. Thanks in advance.

1. As far as cutoff and beam pattern are concerend, Cibie are by far the best. But you'll pay a pretty penny for those. Next are Hella, which are still pricey but also very good, followed by IPF which are considerably cheaper, and finally the Autopals.

2. You can buy projectors off ebay (OEM off of cars like BMW, Lexus, etc) and would need to retrofit the projectors into a housing. They can be expensive, but are by FAR the best. After all, they were designed to work with HID's. Stay away from anything else...

3. YES. Yes yes yes you need the harness if you upgrade to HID's. If you don't, the ballasts probably won't even be able to ignite the bulbs, and will burn up your stock harness trying.

(4.) If you do switch to an HID kit, you'll need to get some "casper shields" as well. If you look at a typical H4 bulb, is has a little shroud inside the bulb covering half of it. This keeps the light below a certain point when reflected out of the housing. Since HID's are usually in a projector, they don't have this. This is what I'm talking about.

dscn0334.jpg

dscn0337.jpg

dscn0332.jpg

i run ipf housings. imo projectors just arent realistic/worth the hastle. unless maybe you live in deer country.

upgrading your harness does nothing but good, i'd recommend it regardless. it will only make your lights brighter! i built a go-jeep harness.

Run opt housings aswell with my hids. The previous owner of my jeep had already upgraded the harness aswell.

I run DDM's 55w 5000k hi/lo kit with the euro pattern Autopals(not the crystal lens ones) and I absolutely love it. I also have a HD harness. On my 97 to make the hi/lo kit work correctly I had to remove the #3&4 fuses from the fusebox on the passenger kick panel. now they work correctly. #3&4 operate the drivers headlight plug which isn't used with the harness or HID kit. It was a snap to hook up the DDM kit.

After a lot of research I would never run HID headlights in normal halogen housing. You need projectors, that's what the HID was designed to be used in. I don't like when people blind me on the road so I don't want to blind anyone else...

/opinion

After a lot of research I would never run HID headlights in normal halogen housing. You need projectors, that's what the HID was designed to be used in. I don't like when people blind me on the road so I don't want to blind anyone else...

/opinion

Yeah but I have had one vehicle flash me for my HID's in my H4 housings. Strangely enough they had HID's too. My beam pattern Kinda sucks right now but I am trying to figure out how to solve it.

I run DDM's 55w 5000k hi/lo kit with the euro pattern Autopals(not the crystal lens ones) and I absolutely love it. I also have a HD harness. On my 97 to make the hi/lo kit work correctly I had to remove the #3&4 fuses from the fusebox on the passenger kick panel. now they work correctly. #3&4 operate the drivers headlight plug which isn't used with the harness or HID kit. It was a snap to hook up the DDM kit.

DDM Tuning makes quality products and stands behind them with a lifetime warranty. I went with the 55w hi/lo kit as well and have no regrets. You technically don't need to upgrade the wiring since the stock wiring, because HID's draw less than halogens. I'm running e-code housings as well.

Here's a picture to give you the idea of what HID's will look like on a Jeep:

14999_1405159964781_1105838039_31203821_1964354_n.jpg

DDM Tuning makes quality products and stands behind them with a lifetime warranty. I went with the 55w hi/lo kit as well and have no regrets. You technically don't need to upgrade the wiring since the stock wiring, because HID's draw less than halogens. I'm running e-code housings as well.

Here's a picture to give you the idea of what HID's will look like on a Jeep:

14999_1405159964781_1105838039_31203821_1964354_n.jpg

Do you have that funky glare above the cutoff when you are facing a wall/garage door? The HIDs aren't what is causing mine. The DDM kit is well made and easy to install. I haven't had any issues with them so I don't know how well they handle customer service.

Yeah, it's right above the cutoff. I was thinking about removing the shield to see if it makes any difference.

Same here. Let me know if that works for you.

the funky glare above the cutoff is part of the E code beam pattern, it kicks up and to the right on LHD housings to illuminate pedestrians and signs

$60 for a 55w hi/lo HID kit is so cheap I might have to try it. Are the hi beams significantly brighter? How is it that the hi/lo work, I have seen the kits which move the bulb to change the pattern but Im thinking that's not how this kit works?

the funky glare above the cutoff is part of the E code beam pattern, it kicks up and to the right on LHD housings to illuminate pedestrians and signs

Yeah there is that but there is also a funky greenish glare above that on mine. I am thinking the reflector on the inside of the housings has something to do with it.

$60 for a 55w hi/lo HID kit is so cheap I might have to try it. Are the hi beams significantly brighter? How is it that the hi/lo work, I have seen the kits which move the bulb to change the pattern but Im thinking that's not how this kit works?

They are brighter but more than anything they just throw farther down the road(obviously). The kit is definitely a bargain but I hear good things about BajaHID as well and he'll hook you up if you are a member.

I like this comparison of HID in a stock housing Vs. a proper retrofit.

Good Lord 8000k looks hideous! :eek: I am not saying Retrofits are the wrong way to go because they aren't but I am willing to suffer a little for 1/4 of the price!

Good Lord 8000k looks hideous! :eek: I am not saying Retrofits are the wrong way to go because they aren't but I am willing to suffer a little for 1/4 of the price!

Your choice of course. Some people opt to go with add a leaf or lift blocks instead of doing it the right way. Same thing here, some people will suffer with poor results to do it cheaply. Only with headlights other people suffer too...

Only with headlights other people suffer too...

Yeah they will! :rolleyes: Ah well, I have to suffer from poorly aimed headlights they can suffer from a little glare from my properly aimed headlights. As for using AAL's and lift blocks.....:puke: I used AAL's on my old jeep and they actually lasted but I am doing it the right way and getting OME packs to go with my coils and HDOR shackle relocation brackets on my current Jeep! I will try to improve my lighting situation once I get the money to take care of it. Until then i will just enjoy being able to see at night while having a glare that you can't notice while driving. I wouldn't call it poor results they are just less than optimum.

FlexdXJ is actually who got me started thinking about the DDM kit. I have a few more questions...

1. what is the optimal size bulb? 5000k, 6000k? I saw you're not susposed to run anything higher than the 6000k, is this right?
2. the HD harness that FlexdXJ runs, is that just "heavy duty", or is HD a brand? I looked into the Big Offroad, and others, and would rather make my own with about 12awg wire, would this be ideal?
3. which kit did you get from DDM? They have the Raptor and the Slim kit. I figure I have plenty of room to not have to use the Slim kit, but I'm not sure.
4. what size wattage did you get? 35w or 55w?
5. is 55w overkill?
6. where is the best place to buy the Autopals, everyone raves about? I see things on fleabay, but I'm not sure which one is right.
7. so is the general consensus that the E-codes are the best, rather than DOT? also, stay away from the diamond cuts I hear, is this true too? I assume the crystal clear lenses are the best?

thanks guys, this has been extremely helpful, now I think I have enough confidence to pull this off.

Back