• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low Tire Air Pressure?

my rule is dont go below 10 psi or u'll pop a bead.... lowest ive gone is 10 psi and i almost popped a bead on the rocks, i'd say 10psi.

Thanks. Johnson Valley next weekend will be my first trail run and since I trailer my CJ, I want to set air at home before I go.

there are Alot of variables..

What sixe tire and rim combo being the Most important. I would not go below 13ish on say a 30x9.5 on a 15x8 with lockers in big rock.

At the same time a 35x12.5 on a 15x7 or 8, is good down to 7-10psi..
I have 15x8's and 35x12.5. I run 8psi typ and never lost a bead..

o i forgot to mention on 33's..srry!

I run 35x12.50 BFG TA/KO's on 8" rims at 10 psi and have never had a problem. With the BFG bead style, they should be good down to 7-8 psi.

I've run my 315/75/16's on 16x8" wheels at 8 PSI without a problem. Never has my keyboard lost a bead, and my mouse never falls off the pad.

;)

-C

ive lost beads with my BFG's at 10 psi (33x12.5r15's on 15x8's)

i havent lost beads at 12psi

remember that your pressure gauge is just that - a pressure gauge...

it doesnt read absoulte pressure, just a difference from what is around you compared to what is in the tire...
meaning, if you air down to 10 at sea level, then go into the hills (JV), you could end up with 14-15 psi in the tires... airing down takes all of 10 minutes? do it on the lakebed...

gauge pressure comes into play with air shocks, nitrogen shocks and coilovers too... :D

I am going to start my tires (35x12.50x15 Maxxis CCs) at 14 psi in JV. Then just let them down slowly till I find that happy medium. Asking for advice on tires is not really great. Just start a little high when you hit the trail, then adjust.:chef:

I run 35x12.5x15 BFG muds on 10 inch wide rims for my YJ and have had them to 8 psi safely

I run 31x10.5x15 MTR's on 7 inch wide TJ rims for my XJ at 12 psi safely

I like to error on the safe side though

it doesnt read absoulte pressure, just a difference from what is around you compared to what is in the tire...
meaning, if you air down to 10 at sea level, then go into the hills (JV), you could end up with 14-15 psi in the tires... airing down takes all of 10 minutes? do it on the lakebed...

Thanks for the advice. I live up here in the desert so I want to get them close air pressure wise. I have an air compressor in the motorhome so final adjusting at the lakebed will be easy.

Back