• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not in the drivers seat

kenny811

NAXJA Forum User
I took apart my drivers seat ( 89 XJ ) to find out the reason its bent is because the frame rail is cracked. So options are to repair it, or swap out new seats. Will WJ seats bolt into the mounts of an 89? or do I just build a new set of mounts? I have a line on a set out of a 97 Grand for $100. Anyway you're thoughts?

Thanks
Kenny

no no the for sale section is very appropriate.

By frame rail, you mean the mounting base on the seat right? It's pretty common for the base to crack. Some will weld it up, but often times it will crack again.

Stock seats are easy to come by and sometimes free.

I've heard about the ZJ swap, but haven't looked into it too much.

I'm going to move your thread to the Mod Tech Forum, for some more insight.

No its not the mounting base, its the tube rail that holds the "butt" part of the seat, then bends up to hold the back rest part of the seat. Right where it makes the bend upwards its cracked. Pretty easy weld, but it it worth it!!!

ZJ seats will not bolt in to an 89, only to a 95+; you'll need to fab an adapter if you want to use ZJ seats.

Many people will just weld those tubes back together to fix them, or grab a junkyard seat.

Yeah pretty common issue, dont waste your time repairing, it may never be exactly right. I would grab different seats or seat rails from the yard, instead of paying so much.

Yeah you may be right, I would need to cut the tube, re aligin it and weld back together. Then maybe add a brace. I know the "you pull it" in Vancouver doesnt have seats, I will have to call around. Thanks!!

I've got a full set of cloth seats if you'd like to just swap them entirely. Put power leathers in mine, so these are just taking up garage space (could meet in Seattle or something, I'm 3hrs north on Whidbey Island)

Back