• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New engine, crank no start

kybray44

NAXJA Forum User
Got the rebuilt installed, but now when attempting to start, it cranks, but I dont recieve any spark. Ive checked the CPS and it reads the same resistance as the brand new one I havent installed yet. I have no spark from the distrubutor nor the ign coil. However, when I turn the key on and check voltage at the ign coil, I have 12v. Any ideas?

1990 Cherokee with 4.0 inline 6

I guess an easy check would be to pop the distributor cap and make sure the rotor is turning when you crank.

Yes, I agree.

Next step is determine why the primary windings of the coil aren't collapsing so the secondary windings can fire.

Start with your grounds--head to firewall, ICM/ECU/o2 sensor to dipstick tube.

Next test the ohms of the CPS/CKP crank sensor--125 to 275 (200 + - 75) ohms.

If nothing, test the harness to see that the ECU can receive the input from the crank sensor.

Post back what you find.

the tricky thing was I was test the ohms and they were within specs, I decided to pull the CPS and low and behold it was broken. Now I have spark, still no start. Also, my fuel gauge is not reading..any ideas? If its not one thing its another.

Ok, try this:

1. Depress and hold the accelerator pedal to the floor.

2. While firmly holding the accelerator pedal to the floor, crank the engine--don't let the pedal up until it starts.

Getting the distributor correctly indexed is a real B*hatch. Try indexing one or two teeth either direction.

Back