• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird noise from front end

109ace

NAXJA Forum User
Recently I have started hearing a weird metallic noise coming from my front passenger tire. It sounds like keys rattling (no, my keys are not rattling) and I can only hear it when I am passing someone or on a bridge. I thought maybe it was my wheel bearing going bad so I jacked it up and tried rocking the tire, it was rock solid. I started to rotate my tire and the noise seems to be coming from my breaks. It looks as though my calipers are making contact with the disc. I may be completely wrong though. My breaks work fine, no grinding noise while turning, there are no vibrations and it tracks in a straight line.

Pull the wheel, look for gravel trapped in the there by the caliper.

That makes sense, I have been driving in a decent amount of sand lately and havent been cleaning that are out. I will try it.

Check your axle shaft U-joints as well, if you get a rhythmic clunking or squeaking while turning that is often the cause. If you hose them down with WD-40 and the noise gets better/goes away, you need to replace the joints.

Recently I have started hearing a weird metallic noise coming from my front passenger tire. It sounds like keys rattling (no, my keys are not rattling) and I can only hear it when I am passing someone or on a bridge. I thought maybe it was my wheel bearing going bad so I jacked it up and tried rocking the tire, it was rock solid. I started to rotate my tire and the noise seems to be coming from my breaks. It looks as though my calipers are making contact with the disc. I may be completely wrong though. My breaks work fine, no grinding noise while turning, there are no vibrations and it tracks in a straight line.

if this is the case, then the pads are really worn or the cailpers are wearing a grove into the knuckle.

are you sure the caliper is hitting the disc?

I will pull the tire again and double check my breaks. After taking my time and washing out my undercarriage the sound has almost gone away. I will also try WD-40 on the joints, didn't think those could be the problem.

Back