• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 Axle to Dana 35

Shadow83

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2WD 92 XJ (227k miles) with a Chrysler 8.25 axle that is rumbling. It usually starts the rumble at 55 mph and over. When it starts I can shift into neutral to relax the drive train and back to drive and 99% of the time the rumble goes away. I am pretty sure it is the outer bearings.

Since the axle has over 200k miles last year I bought a replacement axle from a local junk yard for $300 that they claimed only had 30k miles on it. I wanted to change the gear oil and inspect if but waited over 30 days (the warranty from the yard). When the cover seal broke about a gallon of water came out, the Jeep must have been in a canal. It was full of rust so a waste.

I am considering replacing the bearings but still would like to just swap out the axle in case the outers are not the problem. I see that the Dana 35 seems to be the more popular axle, can it fit where the Chrysler was or must mods be made? Also would the later 29 spline 8.25 drop right in?

I love my XJ and want to drive it till it no longer can go. Just weighing my options.

Last edited:
I have a 2WD 92 XJ (227k miles) with a Chrysler 8.25 axle that is rumbling. It usually starts the rumble at 55 mph and over. When it starts I can shift into neutral to relax the drive train and back to drive and 99% of the time the rumble goes away. I am pretty sure it is the outer bearings.

Since the axle has over 200k miles last year I bought a replacement axle from a local junk yard for $300 that they claimed only had 30k miles on it. I wanted to change the gear oil and inspect if but waited over 30 days (the warranty from the yard). When the cover seal broke about a gallon of water came out, the Jeep must have been in a canal. It was full of rust so a waste.

I am considering replacing the bearings but still would like to just swap out the axle in case the outers are not the problem. I see that the Dana 35 seems to be the more popular axle, can it fit where the Chrysler was or must mods be made? Also would the later 29 spline 8.25 drop right in?

I love my XJ and want to drive it till it no longer can go. Just weighing my options.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Maybe in another dimension, but sure as heck not in this one!

the d35 went under more XJs because it was the cheaper axle. They are known around here as "turdy5's" and toothpicks axles, because they snap like toothpicks. some people have wheeled the hell out of them, but the common thought is that they are junk, if you want one you can probably find a free one being given away so the owner doesnt have to pay to junk it after a swap to a d44 or 8.25.

dont take a step backwards unless your XJ is a street only truck. Personally I would rebuild your 8.25, once you get it apart it should be pretty evident if any of the bearings are bad. be warned you'll need a press to get the bearings off the carrier to change them, and you'll need a special tool to adjust the gear lash once you put it back together (i made one by welding a nut on the end of a piece of pipe). there are plenty of writeups on here that can be found with a little searching.

how the heck did you end up paying $300 for a rusty old Dana 35? 8.8's usually go for closer to $200!

I would suggest finding any axle that will bolt in, the d35 does perfectly fine in stock applications, maybe fins one out of a 4 cyl. the 4.10 will give you a little for power!

I think a 35 will be fine for him, though I'd try to get another 8.25 regardless.

Usually people swap out the dana 35 for the 8.25. So you would be taking a step backwards there. But it all depends on what you are going to use it for. Just find another 8.25 and call it a day.

X2!!!!!!:doh:

Sounds like he got a C 8.25 and it was a dud, and has access to a D35 to swap.

I think a 35 will be fine for him, though I'd try to get another 8.25 regardless.

Don’t do it, 35s are bigger crap than most of us realize, they truly live up to their crap Legend.
I saw a stock wrangler's 35 crap out on pavement in the snow in January, shaft snapped & Wheel walked right off; Good thing he was going slow when it happened.

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear about your troubles with the D35 my friend. I wish there was something I could to help.
I always hear of people changing the D35 for the 8.25 never the other way.
Where in South Florida did you buy that rear axle for $300. I live in North Miami Beach. There are several You Pull It yards within easy reach of where I live. A person could buy an axle for any car including the XJ and the Explorer for $120.00 which includes tax anyday of the week/year. I got 2 D44 from XJ's for $185.00 minus the 30 day warranty which I will not pay for knowing the axle will be rebuilt before it is used.
Do some shopping around before you buy next time and always open the unit you buy. Some surprises are not very good.

snapped a shaft in my d35 about a month ago bought an 8.8 2 weeks later and it will be in my xj this coming week. i would never swap to a d35 from an 8.25. the 8.25 is way more worth it to just rebuild.

You could pay someone $300 to rebuild your 8.25 and it would a 1000% better than a D35, especially a used one in who knows what kind of condition and you'd have a freshly rebuild axle to work with. Note to self: ALWAYS plan to rebuild ANY axle you get from a junkyard in the first place, it's just the right thing to do. At least you should have opened it up and changed the gear lube before you drove it out of the driveway. That's just lazy and I'll have to say you kinda got what you deserved on that one, sorry man.

I wouldn't put in a d35 if you paid me, even on my street jeep. I'd have to buy new U-bolts and swapping in a junk axle is a waste of time...

aim for an 8.25 out of a 97 or later (might as well get the strongest commonly available bolt-in you can since it'll cost the same for any rearend at the JY.) Don't pay over $150 including tax and open the diff before you pay.

Im selling a really good condition D35 it would be perfect for anything with 32's or smaller. Honestly I have seen people wheel the crap out of a Dana 35 and hold up just fine. People wheel really really really hard with there jeeps. That's why they break shit. I only went to a 8.25 with a locker because what I could buy a locker for i could just buy this 8.25

Im selling my D35 with fresh gear oil less than 3,000 miles on the fresh change and painted for 75.00 or best offer. Including brakes and E brake cables if you want.
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1031606
4549808208_884c9e4cdf_o.jpg

if you go with the d35, you may need a longer/shorter driveshaft. i forget if the d35 pinion is shorter or longer then the 8.25.

Im selling a really good condition D35 it would be perfect for anything with 32's or smaller. Honestly I have seen people wheel the crap out of a Dana 35 and hold up just fine. People wheel really really really hard with there jeeps. That's why they break shit. I only went to a 8.25 with a locker because what I could buy a locker for i could just buy this 8.25

Im selling my D35 with fresh gear oil less than 3,000 miles on the fresh change and painted for 75.00 or best offer. Including brakes and E brake cables if you want.
He's in Florida... you are on the wrong side of the country and selling a d35.

like said before go get an 8.25 and check good before you buy. if u have access to a turdy5 than grab the driveshaft to since it is a little bit longer than yours. if you dont like the rumble now than youll hate a 35 under there humming like its gonna explode. i put 35 after 35 under my jeep till i got sick of it and put in an 8.8 from an exploder and havent heard a bad bearing since.

Back