• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior electrical problem

Jays siik xj

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been having a problem that just started not too long ago. My stereo, interior lights etc only work when the key is in the ACC position. when I turn the Jeep on nothing in my interior works. Any hints, clues, fixes?

Working as it should. New federal guidelines on having distracting accessories causing more accidents...

Just kidding, been a slow day.

Custom interior lights? OEM interior lights are un-switched and don't get power through the key/ignition switch.

Stereo is sometimes switched/un-switched depending on how it was installed, however most OEM systems are switched.

Lets take a step back and start with the year and any other details you would care to share.

Oh yeah. That would help... its a RENIX style XJ I believe 88 (its my brothers) Everything on the jeep is factory, No aftermarket stereo, lights of any sorts, etc.

Everything in the interior works when the key is out/ in the ACC position BUT the second you turn it on it loses all power to all the lights and radio... the gauges work just not the lights on them. Ive checked the fuse/fuses and everything looks fine. I really dont know where to start being that ive had 5 XJs and ive never had or heard of this problem.

Oh yeah. That would help... its a RENIX style XJ I believe 88 (its my brothers) Everything on the jeep is factory, No aftermarket stereo, lights of any sorts, etc.

Everything in the interior works when the key is out/ in the ACC position BUT the second you turn it on it loses all power to all the lights and radio... the gauges work just not the lights on them. Ive checked the fuse/fuses and everything looks fine. I really dont know where to start being that ive had 5 XJs and ive never had or heard of this problem.

sounds like bad ignition cylinder

Ehall--You thinking loose/mis-adjusted/bad ignition switch on the column?

OP--There is a remote rod that runs down the steering column from the key lock cylinder. The remote rod moves the ignition switch back and forth for the OFF-ACC-ON-START functions.

Back