• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I swear, my jeep is messing with me

shortbussrydah

NAXJA Forum User
I went to the liquor store this morning to get a cup of coffee and i left my truck running in the parking lot. so im about to pay for my coffee and i look at my truck only to see a healthy stream of coolant dripping out from under the engine..

i ran out the door muttering cuss words under my breath, shut it off. It looked like the leak was coming from the lower rad. hose, right where it meets the radiator. I checked to see if i had enough coolant to get home (its very close), and then started it up and headed back to the house to get my other car.

so i get home 5 hours later, and start it up to see if i could pinpoint the source of the leak, and no leak could be found. So i let it warm up, nothing. drove it around the block. nothing. drove it 25 miles. nothing...

anyone ever had your jeep just f*** with you like that?

Maybe your XJ is incontinent? Wet itself? I guess it just Depends. (Get it, "Depends"?)

And am I the only one that wonders why you get coffee at a liquor store?!?!?! :dunno:

im thinking you have a weep-hole that gave you a little squirt!

Now that's Chico. I can't get booze at Starbucks. WTF??

Back to the question:

I had the overflow pee a little coolant out just going around the corner to the...uh...er...coffee place just a couple days ago. Pulled in, coffee'd up, left coolant on ground. I think I had a tad too much coolant in there for the Jeep's liking. I've checked my coolant level several times since then and it doesn't ask for anything.

BTW - my entire system (open system) has been gone through and everything is tight and leak-less. The only suspect is a little too much coolant in the overflow (not pressure, just overflow).

jeeps dont leak, they mark there territory. kinda like when my dog pisses on everything that stays still long enough.

my jeep messed with me yesterday. I was at a red light stopped waiting for the light to turn green. Out of nowhere my brake pedal goes to the floor and i start rolling back. I used the e-brake and then went to the closest parking lot i could find. Opened the hood and found nothing, checked the brake res and it was full. Drove the car to my mechanics with no brakes (luckily i made it fine) and after lots of inspecting i found a brake line that had rusted through. It was messing with me but not too much of a "hard to find" factor. Now i'm extra cautious incase it happens again.

so i was chatting with my uncle and he said its most likely a sticky thermostat causing too much back pressure in the system. it happened again, same time of morning, same liquor store, except i didnt go home. arrived at destination, no more leaks. and no the bottle isnt too full, its in-between the full and empty lines... hopefully thats it!

Well, you need to change out the thermostat if that is the problem--its warning you that it is going to fail and destroy your engine.

That said, saw in your profile you have a 96, so its an open system with a recovery bottle. So, the only place coolant should come out of is the overflow bottle--any sign of that? If the coolant is getting out any other place you need to make other repairs too.

Even though its called an "open system" that just means that the expanded coolant exits the radiator and enters the coolant recovery bottle, then when the system cools and creates a vacuum the coolant is sucked back out of the recovery bottle, this keeps from introducing air into the system.

I recommend the Stant SuperStat Premium 195 degree thermostat.

Back